Thread: Print film for lf

Print film for lf

I usually shoot transparency film. However, I think that sometimes it would be n ice to have a print film ready. I've had good results with Fuji Reala ISO 100 on small format. But the people at the photo shop tell me that Reala is not availa ble as 4x5 sheet film. Is that true? If so, what other 4x5 colour neg film in a similar quality could you recommend me? Thanks for your answers.

Print film for lf

Most print film for at LF tends to be aimed toward portrait/wedding photography (ie low contrast). I think one of the few that isnt is Agfa Optima 100 '...produces natural color levels and ultra fine grain, making it an excellent all pupose color film'. I havent used it, but it may be worth a try. Its listed in Adoramas catalog, but Im sure any major supplier should have it. I have seen landscape prints shown at an exibit made from Kodak VPS (a portrait film) in 8x10 format, and the results were excellent. They had a slight 'dreamy' quality, and seeing the exibit made me want to try low contrast film, but I still havent gotten around to doing it (babies take a lot of your time). I dont know if the dreamy quality was a result of the low contrast film or the artists printing techniques, but I liked it, and it suited the subject matter well. If I had ways to make my own color prints, I would love to do color negative film.

Print film for lf

Fuji NPS 160 is a very close match for Reala, maybe better in some ways.

Print film for lf

The colour negative films that I know of in large format are: <UL> <LI>Agfacolor Optima II Prestige 100 Pro - High colour saturation <LI>Fujicolor 160 Type L Pro (NPL) - Tungsten balanced <LI>Fujicolor 160 Type S Pro (NPS) - Portraiture (Reala type film) <LI>Fujicolor 400 Pro (NPH) - Portraiture (Reala type film) <LI>Kodak Extacolor Pro Gold 100T (EBT) - Tungsten balanced <LI>Kodak Portra 160/400 NC/VC - Portraiture </UL>

Of these, I would agree with Ellis and suggest NPS for your needs.

Print film for lf

I agree, NPS and NPL (Tungsten) are excellent. Does someone know about life exp ectancy of these negatives compared to Fujichromes?

Print film for lf

I use, and like, Optima for 4x5 color landscape. I tried some of the film optimized for portraiture a long time ago, but didn't care for the results. (Probably one box of one film type.) I heard that Optima was designed for more general use, so I gave it a try. I've continued to use it since that time.

Print film for lf

I am having great success with the Kodak Portra films. the recently introduced 100T (tungsten Portra) makes a good fit for the other daylight films. unless something has changed, I have to disagree with one of the previous posts and claim that I have never seen Fuji NPH available in LF. sadly, I wish this wasn't the case. for higher contrast work, I adore NPS in 4x5.

I would suggest grabbing a box of Portra that meets your needs, and shoot it side-by-side with NPS. I believe the 160VC (shoot at EI100) is available in 4x5. not sure though, as I have been buying 160NC only.

Print film for lf

How do some of the other suggested LF print films (Portra, Agfa, etc.) compare with NPS & NPL in mixed lighting conditions?