Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sheet film availability

sheet film availability

Every once in awhile I hear comments about film going away, sheet film becoming unavailable, etc., etc..

Well here are some facts

Both Ilford and Kodak have agreed to make some previously unavailable sizes, generally ULF, now available. The fact that they are both doing this must mean they feel there is a market.

I have compiled a listing of all the sheet films currently available and there is more than any of us will every use. Yes, some films have disappeared but new ones have shown up. I doubt that anyone's photo career really depends on Super XX or Agfapan 25 for example. Yes, sometimes we have to adapt but I think we should be heartened by what is available.

Relax, shoot and enjoy!

steve simmons

sheet film availability

How can we access this list? Is it on the VC web site?

sheet film availability

This will be in the Jan 06 issue of View Camera in an article titles The Future of Large Format Pt. 2.

steve simmons

Film and Darkroom User

sheet film availability

Dean,

The Ilford list is here...

www.ilford.com/html/us_english/ILFOPRO/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7023&whichpage=1

Details of new Kodak offerings are posted here...

www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=24

Barry

sheet film availability

Steve; It's always good to know that film is available even if we do have to make our own paper. Long live Pt/Pd.

I'll keep what I think of Kodak to myself... No I won't.

Ya don't leave the girl that ya brung to the dance.

Kodak will be sorry.

sheet film availability

I would only add that we as sheet film consumers should not take the willingness of Kodak or Ilford to listen to pleas of several promoters like myself to serve this market with a cavalier attitude and assume that this is a continuous trend into the future. We need to send a serious financial message of our willingness to step up to the plate and take action. The old addage that talk is cheap holds true here as we hold the keys to the future of both standard sheet film and ULF sheet film in your favorite emulsion.

I am not for a second going to minimize the act of purchasing two or three boxes of film in any way shape or form considering the unit costs or other uncontrollable economic or specific variables for anyone. Please do the best you possibly can. But we desperately need folks with the desire and the financial resources to put some volume into these numbers. As a group we can take a positive attitude at this opportunity crossroad and mitigate a considerable amount of negativity toward the one product that we all need to plan for our future in this craft - quality film.

We could be so fortunate to have these options at our doorstep. I will be stepping up big time (a second freezer if need be) and I hope that you will all find a way to join me in making a serious commitment to the emulsion of your choice.

Happy Holidays!

sheet film availability

Great news :-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

sheet film availability

I agree with Mr. Simmons. Relax, shoot and enjoy. Also, live long and prosper. On the holodeck you can shoot with all the Super XX you want to not to mention the Dupont Varigam.

sheet film availability

"I agree with Mr. Simmons. Relax, shoot and enjoy."

Nah, we should stress out, lock our remaining film in the freezer, and occassionally take it out and hiss over it "the precious, my preciousss..."

"Also, live long and prosper. On the holodeck you can shoot with all the Super XX you want to..."

I have a theory that Tolkien's Elves, over millions of years, evolved into Vulcans. You can see it in the ears...

Getting back to the subject (at last), I need to order a couple of hundred 8x10 sheets of HP5+. Any special way I should do this to show support? (BTW, I ordered it from Wisner weeks ago; he didn't respond or charge my credit card. I'm ready to re-order elsewhere...)

sheet film availability

If I was on the holodeck, I sure wouldn't be shooting Super XX. I'm thinking more like Seven of Nine and some of those green-skinned Orion women. Dream big! :-)