Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick lensboard replacement?

quick lensboard replacement?

I need to quickly make a lensboard that will fit a copal #0 shutter. Does anyone have any suggestions? this is for a Toyo Field camera, so the dimensions will have to be 110mm x 110m. I have an existing toyo lens board for #1 shutters, and I wish I could somehow make it work with this #0 lens.

Any suggestions? Should I use cardboard or is there a better way? I sort of need to find a solution as soon as possible...not later than today, actually.

Thanks

Eric Biggerstaff

I know some people who make their own out of black plexiglass available from your local home improvement store or glass shop. This might be an option.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

About the easiest material that I can think to work with in a hurry - which is also quite durable - is the particle board called Masonite. Pretty cheap, and your local building supply place may have some small pieces of this. You can to a really quick and dirty job on this with a saw, a drill, a flat file and circular file. You can blacken the backside of this with a black magic marker if you're worried about reflections.

I second Masonite.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Model shops carry plywood in thin sizes. These are usually birch, strong and easy to work. You can also get thin (1/32" to 1/4") sheets of mahogany or walnut at www.micromark.com. These are particularly useful iin laminating up to an odd required thickness and when the board needs an interior light-trap.

I'll add a vote for the model-shop plywood. I've made several lensboards for my Calumet monorail camera. At over 6 inches square, a board from 1/8" plywood remains very stiff and dimensionally stable.

I've used Baltic Birch plywood backed with masonite. I remember going to a big box store lumber yard and asking for masonite. The guy didn't know what I was talking about. I then asked for tempered hardboard which is the generic name. Still no clue. Finally being a little exaspirated, I asked for pegboard without the holes. At least he knew what pegboard was and in the next rack was the masonite.

Another suggestion I have heard is the circuit board material sold at Radio shack. No experience using this stuff.
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

I need to quickly make [...] I have an existing toyo lens board for #1 shutters, and I wish I could somehow make it work with this #0 lens.

I read this as you wanting to make-do with the #1 hole lens board. Well, there' s only about 6mm difference. You might be able to use a piece of brass (hobby shop) of, say, 70mm per side, cut with a #0 hole. Put it under the jam nut and be happy. The shutter should still cover the #1 hole.

When time is not so critical, you can get something else.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I made a square lens board out of plywood. It looks ugly, but does the job for now, until I get the real deal in the mail.

For testing purposes, I made a board out of plain brown corrugated cardboard, and it was perfectly light tight. I'd do it again if I needed a board for a couple of days -- who wants to throw away a nice piece of masonite? ;-)