Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera R&D...

Digital Camera R&D...

Does anyone know if any company is working on a digital camera that will produce photos that have more depth... like the depth you get from film. I think most would agree that digital files look flat or 1 dimentional when compared with film. Please, this is not a digital vs film flame starter question. I'm sincerely interested in having my question answered as directly as possible.

Thanks

Digital Camera R&D...

Your premise is flawed.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Digital Camera R&D...

i'd agree as well. i can take perfectly flat /boring images with either film or digital. and in the hand of someone who knows what they're doing, you can get vibrant images with incredible depth from either one

Digital Camera R&D...

"I think most would agree that digital files look flat or 1 dimentional (sic) when compared with film. "

I think you think wrong.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Digital Camera R&D...

I think the problem is not the capture but the oversharpening one usually finds in digital prints. I dont mean sharpening artifacts, but the edge to edge impossibly sharp images that IMO take away the feeling of depth found with analog, specially with contact printing.

With PS not only can you do overall sharpening but by using layers you can sharpen small areas. With film, even if you are doing contact printing, there are always small areas or things which are unsharp (even using the best focusing and DOF techniques.)

IMO those doing digital capture should be very aware of the near/far relationships and DOF, in fact I will dare say they should introduce some out of focus areas. Those doing film scanning should learn to leave well enough alone and know when to stop using sharpening techniques. In fact this is one of the things I look for when I am asked if I can tell whether a print is digital or analog, impossibly sharp prints from edge to edge are 9 times out of 10 digitally manipulated.

Digital Camera R&D...

Jorge,

That is probably the biggest problem with people processing images. They go WAY overboard with the unsharp masking thinking that if they make the image REALLY sharp, people will be impressed. I for one have never been impressed with the amateurish looking halos and artifacts on ridiculously oversharpened images.

There is a fine balance to aware of. I prefer the natural look that many would say is more "film like" in appearance. With some, they go so far overboard with USM that the shot looks almost like a video image!

Digital Camera R&D...

Jorge makes a good point. Another reason why digital captures are often said to be flat is that when using raw formats, the file is by default more linear than film. But raw files need to be interpreted, the same way as a negative does.

Digital Camera R&D...

Like I said, I don't want to argue here. I'm talking photos taken of the same subject one immediately after the other using both digital and film cameras. The results are obvious. The digital file is dimensionally "flatter" than the scanned film file. That's even after tweaking the digital file in photoshop using various techniques including midtone and global contrast to make them match as closely as possible. If someone would tell me how to post a sample I'll be glad to. I believe it will be obvious to all who see it.

Digital Camera R&D...

Anyone who says they can tell on screen the difference between the two is either misinformed, or blissfully ignorant.

Digital Camera R&D...

Dave, I'm neither misinformed nor blissfully ignorant. (Thanks for the vote of confidence though.) However, I'll be happy to prove that of you if someone tells me how to load a jpg without using a link.