Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 8x10 Carrier Set-Up for Microtek 1800f

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best 8x10 Carrier Set-Up for Microtek 1800f

I'm about to get a Microtek 1800f to scan 8x10 and I'm wondering what the best way to set the carriers up is? I noted that some people are replacing the glass in the 8x10 carrier with Anti-Newton Ring glass from Focal Point and others are simply buying coated museum glass from a good frame shop. Obviously I would like to go cheaper, but having never seen the Microtek carrier, is the thickness of the glass going to make a difference?

Is there any point at revisiting the i800-i900 or Epson 4990 scanner if all I am looking for is 2-300 mb scans? After all I have been the guy chirping in the background about how crazy you guys are for making these giant scans, but I simply am not going to buy a 4 gig Photoslop box or an Epson 9800 next week either...

I plan on using VueScan on OSX - any issues?

And finally, will I be able to get the film edges in the scan with any of these scanners? Including the notches and all that nice 1980s Avedon film frame goodness?

8x10 is sure fun.

I place my film emulsion side up and use blue painters tape to tape it to the glass (you could also wet mount it I suppose). Since the optics are coming from above the film I see no need to use anything else.

I would think you would be better off with Silverfast than Vuescan. I find you get a lot more control and better scns with Silverfast than with Vuescan. Further, you should also see how you like Microtek's Scan Wizard, I often use it for black and white.

I've been under the impression that the carrier had a glass that sandwiched the film. If the glass is only under the film and not in the CCD to film path, why would you ever get Newton's Rings?

frank,

when scanning 8x10 film on the 1800f you simply lay the film atop the glass carrier and slide it into the unit. my attempts at this without some additional means of keeping the film flat have been largely a waste of time. i haven't gotten any more elegant yet, but have come up with several things i will try... all as of yet untested...

1. microscope slides on the periphery of the film
    2. a thin, microtek reports it needs to be 1/8 or thinner, piece of glass over the film
    3. post-it notes (this from a microtek technician)
    4. scanning on the flat bed (setting the unit to reflective - will this work?)

how are the rest of you scanning your 8x10 films?

" . . . others are simply buying coated museum glass from a good frame shop."

Just curious - why would someone use museum glass in a scanner? Museum glass typically costs 3-4 times as much as plain clear glass. Does it do something for a scan that clear glass doesn't do?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Frank, Scott, I scan my 8x10" with an Epson 4990.
    I place the film emulsion side up and tape it to the glass plate, just to avoid bending.
    I occasionally have some Newton Rings in very small area of the image, 95% of the times I can "correct" them with Photoshop, when I can't I simply scan the 8x10" again, for some strange reason it seems that after the first scan I don't have Newton Rings with the same image anymore ))...

The scans with the Epson are quite soft, but with a "sophisticated" use of Unsharp Mask I can enlarge 4x/5x with excellent results, I don't enlarge more because I notice a degradation of the quality in the prints (I usually look for "those" nose sharp look, whem it's possible).

I habe no experience with the 1800F, but I've done some test scans and I found them sharper than the Epson ones, so I think that the enlargment factor is higher...

Ciao

Marco

I do exactly what Ted does; blue painter's tape. Post-its sounds promising.

Steve

So what about all these threads about Newton's Rings with the 1800f? or is it just the typical forum effect of a minor problem getting broadcast to a wider audience?

With my 1800, some films are better then others. I almost always get a few Newton Rings with Tmax 100 (5x7 on the glass carrier) but no problems with FP4 and HP5 (8x10) and none with chromes. I slide the bottom of the neg under the edge of the frame and paste the top corners down with the vinyl strips that came with the scanner. The Newton Rings I get with the Tmax are not significant and really quick to fix in PS..Evan Clarke

When I scan stuff on the glass carrier, (I have a friend who has lots of Polaroid Type 55 P/N negs) I scan it emulsion up, on the glass, and hold it down/hold it in place by overlapping the edge with trimmed down post it notes.

Works a treat.