Thread: digital neg equipment list input please

digital neg equipment list input please

I have fought this long enough. Until I am able to afford 5x12 or 7x17 film holders I will need to get into the panoramic format with digital negatives. I will be printing on POP and Palladium scanned from split 5x7 negatives or when I get the camera rebuilt split 8x10 negatives. 4x10 contacts are just too small for what I want and I am not willing to compromise on this. I will be paying for scanner time and printer time, and some PS time (If I could afford the scanner and printer I could afford the film holders) by offering my children up for grand parent spoilage.

I have had image stter negs done in the past but was not thrilled with the turnaround time nor the big expense.

I will be using Burkholder's digital neg process since I already have it.

What I need to know is what are the little things I will need to pull this off. Like the media to print these negs on?

And what is the forum where this type of contact printing is talked about all the time?

If you haven't done so Burkholder's Inkjet Neg Companion Template will get you up to speed quickly.

Once you're ready to move there's lots of good info here for the PDN 'system':

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PDNPrint/

Most people use Epson printers (1280/2200/2400/4800/etc) and Pictorico OHP transparency material.

The 2400 and 2200 printers from Epson are different and use different inks. I have not been able to get a decent digital negative from the 2400 printer using Dan's method so far. I know he is working on it, but it's not there yet.

The inkjet negative companion was created as a supplement to Dan's book on digital negatives.

i've been using Mark Nelson's PDN system. the midtones that i get with the negatives from PDN are smoother (lacking the grain/noise that i was getting from Dan's). One of the differences has to do with the actual ink used for printing the negative. using the 2200 and Dan's curves, the negatives end up using the black ink. My negatives with PDN are a bright green. part of the calibration in Mark's system is deciding the actual ink to use based on UV transmission, and noise characteristics.

jim

have any of you been successful in getting digital negs from a epson 2200? Also on a seperate issue, can you get quadtone inks for that printer?
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

>have any of you been successful in getting digital negs from a epson 2200? Also on a seperate issue, can you get quadtone inks for that printer?

yes. using the ultracrome inkset, you can get negatives from the 2200 using either Dan's or Mark's calibration procedures

>have any of you been successful in getting digital negs from a epson 2200?

I use both the 1280 and 2200 for diginegs. For the 1280 I've used Burkholder, Schreiber and the PDN. For the 2200 Burkholder and PDN. Mark's PDN is really the way to go for smoothness and range of tone.

"Also on a seperate issue, can you get quadtone inks for that printer?"

I believe MIS sells quadtone inks for the 2200. However, if you use Roy Harrington's RIP (www.harrington.com, though that address may be dated, if it is just Google on "Roy Harrington" or "Harrington RIP") you don't really need quadtones, you can get excellent b&w prints from the Epson Ultrachrome inks and then don't have to dedicate your 2200 to b&w. Plus you avoid all the MIS quality control problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Agree with Brian on the quadtone rip program. Absolutely wonderful stuff. The advantage with the quadtone is that you use Epson inks, and the whole question of warranty and such is avoided by staying with the proprietary inks.