Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: affordible wide angle for 8x10?

affordible wide angle for 8x10?

Does anyone know any websites that have listings of older but decent lenses around 150mm that will cover 8x10?

Oh yeah, anyone have expierience with using enlarging lenses attatched to shutters? It seems like theyre are a lot of enlarging lenses for cheap and shutters are around 200-300?

Thanks

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The website you're on as you read this has most of that information - it's not just a forum! Most of the rest can be found through the links from the main page.

Off the top of my head - Schneider Angulon 165mm f:6.8 covers 8x10" with no movements. I know because that's what I use much of the time.

Not many enlarging lenses will fit in shutters without expensive machining, so that will usually end up costing far more than an older (and better) lens complete with shutter. Of my 14 or so LF lenses with shutter, only two have cost more than $300! But it can be done, and has been done, but most often for use as enlarger lenses on continuous light enlargers.

search the archives here for wollensak 159mm

and maybe dagor 165mm f8 ? (and angulon 165mm? )
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I have used the angulon and the wolly and both work great, if you are careful with flare and use a hood you will get very nice negatives out of them...

you could also search the archives for wide angle for 8x10 - there are probably half a dozen threads with similar headings
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Eric Woodbury

An older SA 121mm, but wider than you want. Makes a nice wide for 8x10. No movement, but covers.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Dan,

Typically the terms "wide angle" and "cheap" aren't compatible, so it depends on what you're definition of "affordable" is. The above posts pretty much cover the available choices.

The Wollys probably run $250 to $350 - depending on where you buy - for good coated examples in working shutters, a coated WA 6-1/2" Dagor $400 - 500 if you don't mind minor imperfections. However, if you shop around you can probably get a nice used 150mm Schneider SS XL for around a kilobuck. Affordable? Depends on how much the difference of multicoating, improved contrast and sharpness, standard (although big) filter sizes, and a modern shutter are worth.

Steve

I'd look for a pre WWII 165mm f6.8 angulon. It will cover better than later coated versions. I'd consider an uncoated Angulon with no qualms but would not consider an uncoated Wollensak. The Wolly had 8 air glass surfaces to Angulon's 4. WA Dagor's don't normally meet your "cheap" requirement.

I'll second the Wolly 159mm. Mine is a single coated yellow dot f/9.5 version---top o' the line of the 159s IMHO. No "wiggle room" but lightwieght, pleasingly sharp(as opposed to brutally sharp) and waaaaay cheaper than anything else you'll likely come across. That late model Wollensak shutters really rock is just icing on the cake.

If you can find a Super Angulon 165 or 121, or Nikor 120 or 150 SW, or a WA Dagor, or a Berthiot for anywhere near the price you'll have a pleasant problem to solve, but if not, I don't think you can go wrong with the Wolly.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White