Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison: Pinkham Smith, Verito, Voigtlander Eur

Comparison: Pinkham Smith, Verito, Voigtlander Eur

Disregard this if you've already seen a similar post at APUG.org. But I do have some friends here that don't go there often, and vice versa so thought I would throw this up for your enjoyment. Plus I'm looking for that one person that knows a WHOLE lot more about the P&S Boston history than I've been able to find. The page at my web site is about a 5 minute read. The focus error on the second photo is pretty blatant but I've included it anyways. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Perhaps they're so rare because they were too expensive compared to the Verito. Do you have any prices from those days when it was made? OTOH it may have been in limited production over a very short time. I believe that Alfred Steiglitz used one, and he was known for being very tight-fisted for his equipment.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Nice work, Jim.

I can clearly see the softening effects of the lenses at wide apertures. Are the "sharp" areas truely sharp with an overlay of softness? Or are the in focus areas also smudged by the softening effects of the lens?

Interesting question Bill. Hope someone knows. Any old catalogs out there? Chris, to answer your question, I'll go out on a limb and say that with a 10X loupe with the P&S lens I see a definite halo around a sharp object. Facial hair is about all I have to work with on either of these. The Verito version of softness is just to turn it to mush while the P&S gives an illusion of softness by adding a distinct halo around the sharp item. It would take a lot more than what I've got so far to really draw good conclusions.

20" Voigtlander Euryscop Portrait #6

If it were not you making the test, I would never have believed that lens could be so sharp. Now you need the #7. (And I need the #8).

One of the reasons it is so hard to get information Pinkham and Smith lenses is that most of the information just no longer exists. When I was researching the article in the current issue of View Camera I found out that the P&S series IV was designed some time between the late 1920's and 1930. The lens design was held as a 'trade secret' by the company and no part of the design was ever patented so, today, it is impossible to pin down any more accurate information. The original Clark records of the lens and others from this period were lost in a flood. The roots of the design are apparently in an earlier similar design. Tht was about all I could find talking to a number of people.

Ted,

Did Cooke implement a new formulation for their PS945? Or is it an exact duplicate of an existing (perhaps old) design?

[Sorry if you covered this in VC (I'll go over and pick one up during lunch today).]

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Cooke retroengineered it, based on five (AFAIK) original lenses.

Regarding prices, the only listing I have shows:

Series I (f6 "Semi- Achromatic") at $16.00 for the 9"size up to $44.00 for the 18".

Series II "Hand Camera" Doublet also f6, from $22.00 for the 8" to $25.00 for the 12".

Series III Doublet f4.5, from $26.00 for a 12" in aluminum barrel to $66.00 for a 16" in Wollensak Studio Shutter.

Series IV "Visual Quality" from $28.00 for a 9" to $41.00 for a 14".

For comparison, a Series II Cooke Portait, f4.5 at $102.00 for the 10 1/2" size and $191.50 for the 14 1/2". An f6.3 B&L Tessar in barrel was $53.00 for the 8 1/4" focal length. On the other hand, a 9" Verito was available for only $25.00, quite close to the P&S Series IV.

Interestingly, the catalogue this listing appears in, an undated Milwaukee Photo Materials Co. Fifth Edition, shows the name of these lenses as just "Smith" though P&S shows up clearly on the illustrations.

Why not contact Cook, they're here inthe U.K. on the outskirts of The City of Leicester. They have a website and are the best lens producer in the U.K. and have been for years. As I understand it they made Technicolor possible and they have won Oscars for the quality of their lenses. Look under Taylor Hobson Ltd. Hope this helps. PETE