Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MT Classic or MT 2000

MT Classic or MT 2000

The outrigger arm has a 3/8" tripod screw on one side and a 3/8" tripod hole on the other side. The tripod screws into the hole, and the screw on the outrigger arm screws into the bottom tripod screw on the camera, suspending it upside down, without having to remove the accessory shoe. The camera is cantilevered out on the end of the arm.

MT Classic or MT 2000

Bob (thanks for the pic) and David- Thanks for the explanation- I understand.

JJ- with regard to weight, my opinion is that the small difference between models really doesn't matter that much
    (although to others it might- Roger Penske, perhaps?). The clever wide-angle mechanism is what attracted me- I use a 58 pretty regularly. The fact that I don't have to worry about damaging a delicate rangefinder mechanism (which I wouldn't be using on this camera) is a just icing, I guess. Nothing against RFs at all- I'm lucky enough to use an M7II regularly, and really enjoy it.
    jbhogan

MT Classic or MT 2000

jbhogan The fact that I don't have to worry about damaging a delicate rangefinder mechanism

Good point. While I have never had the experience of knocking the rangefinder off-kilter, perhaps others have so their experience is important.

I have never used the 58mm on LF so in that (and many other) regards, I am ignorant.

Best,

Doug Dolde

MT Classic or MT 2000

Badger has a mint used Linhof Master Technika 45 Classic listed now for $3495.

MT Classic or MT 2000

" it is a PITA to change cams"

Whoever said that must have a very sensitive A. Changing cams on the Technika is about like changing lenses, i.e. it does take a few seconds to do but not very many and it isn't the least bit difficult.

Having said that, if money wasn't an object I'd choose a 2000 over a Classic MT any day for landscape work. I have the Classic MT and it's my all-time favorite camera but I've never used the rangefinder for landscapes. Actually I've never used it for anything at all. The ability to conveniently use wide angle lenses with the 2000 for landscape work is IMHO much more important than the ability to use a rangefinder for that kind of work. You can use your 75mm lens with a Classic MT but it isn't all that easy, especially without a recessed lens board and recessed boards are a true PITA. And anything shorter than that requires a wide angle focusing device. While a 75mm lens may be the shortest you presently use, your tastes may change in the future and the 2000 will easily accomodate any changes, the Classic MT won't.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

MT Classic or MT 2000

"but it isn't all that easy, especially without a recessed lens board and recessed boards are a true PITA. And anything shorter than that requires a wide angle focusing device."

Not any more with the latest recessed board. It has a surface mounted lever and scale to set the aperture without reaching into the recess and another lever and indicator on the side of the lens to open and close the press focus. A red dot on the board shows at a glance if the shutter is open or closed. It fits all Copal 0 shutters and includes the latest version of the Linhof Cable Release Quick Socket which uses a flexible cable rather then wires. This one screws into the cable release socket on the shutter which eliminates the old problem of the cable release wire slipping out of the socket on the shutter.

As for the Wide Angle Focus Device it is now out of production and we had purchased all that the factory had. These are now sold out. To use lenses wider then 72mm on the MT and the V and the IV Linhof will now supply lenses down to 38mm (at present) in a special helical mount that is mounted on a special board. There is a lever on the front of the board to rotate the helical. Each lens shorter then 72mm will have to be mounted on its own helical. Lenses can not be interchanged in the helical mount.

Of course this system is not needed for the 2000 as it has the extreme wide angle focusing device built into the body of the camera.

MT Classic or MT 2000

"Not any more with the latest recessed board."

That's interesting, I didn't know about a latest board. What does that board sell for retail in the U.S.?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

MT Classic or MT 2000

Brian,

It is available 2 ways. As a 001015 it comes complete with all of the fittings and the scales for the various 0 shuttered lenses. It has a list price of $440.00. For the same board without the setting levers and scales it is sold as 001016. The scales and levers are available seperately for later installation The 001016 board lists for $399.00 and the set of levers and scales is $56.00. Also possibly needed with these new boards is a shim ring for the 72mm SA only. It is 300171.

Two things to bear in mind. First these are LIST prices. Not RETAIL prices. The RETAIL price is available from our dealers. Secondly 0015 and 0016 are the same catalog numbers as older Linhof recessed lens boards. The new board are easily identified as they are shallower then most earlier version of these catalog numbered boards, they have to extension in the middle of the board to move the lens forward on the baord and lastly there is a curved oval recess immediately above the recess for the aperture scale label and a red dot on the left side of the board that is the press focus indicator. If you have or are sold a board without the recess and the red dot it is an earlier version and does not accept these operating elements.

Currently we only have the latest version of the 001016 and we still have one of the 001015 immediately prior to the latest version as well as having the latest version in stock.

If these features appeal to you then make sure that your dealer orders the latest version.

None of these features make the board specific to the Linhof so if you have a Wista or any other camera that uses the Technika/TK lensboard thesse features will work the same way on those cameras as well.