Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand advice and locations

New Zealand advice and locations

Hi Jon

A quick kind of round up for you. As a North islander ( Bay of Plenty ) I would suggest you bear in mind that from top to bottom we are a 1250 miles ( 2000 km ), no great distance on motorways but a rather more arduous when catching ferries between islands.

So this leaves some options :-

1./ do both islands and bring a light quick automatic camera and use it to take notes, al la sketch book and use the pics to plan your second ( and dare I hope longer trip ). Fly into Auckland and drive up - ( hmm how far you are flying, if you are not a seasoned long distance flyer and you coming down from up north then you should take a break before driving too far – um – some where pleasant just out side AKL. Kaipara harbour north and on the west coast ) - north at least as far as the Bay of Islands before turning round and heading south. On the way back at Auckland you will have to decide “classic tourist” or country side. If you are into landscapes then go round North Cape and head down into Hawkes Bay back to Taupo and south to Wellington. That’s North Island once over very lightly. Cross over on the ferry and head for Christchurch. If you went round North Cape then head down the west coast from the ferry, loop round the bottom, Milford Sound etc and up to Queenstown and fly out from Queenstown.

2./ Bring all your gear and take a much slower and shorter trip. Li-hsia trip is a good option. Bear in mind that if you are doing LF then at 3 shots a day you will not cover any great mileage ( I allow at least an hour per LF scene ).

3./ Do the west coast starting from Christchurch, again take your time and make some stunning pictures.

Film is not cheap here so bring what your need. I carry on all film and get hand inspection, now while hand inspection is a right in the USA it is not in most other places including NZ but if ones request hand inspection politely then you will get it ( I have not been turned down yet ). Kodak HD 35 mm is normally availably in the duty free at Auckland before you go through customs. Now then customs and MAF. DO PLEASE READ what the bits of paper say – our customs and MAF mean what they say and any food that’s on the lists will give you grief if its in your luggage, your incoming luggage will x-rayed and dogged.

Labs have been recommended, for ULF up to 11 inches wide C41 any length there is a lab. here in the bay which I use – not had a problem yet.

What ever you decide on have a brilliant trip.

Rob

Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I'm rethinking our previous tentative itinerary based on your recommendations. I may contact some of you off board as I think all this through.

Thanks,
    Jon

I'm from Wellington in the south of the North Island.

I would strongly recommend you do one island or the other. Two weeks is not enough time to cover both islands, especially when you take into account the inevitable jet lag, lack of motorways and having to drive on the correct (LEFT!) side of the road.

Despite what some say, the North Island is beautiful too, but it is different (and warmer). You can head north from Auckland to the Bay of Islands and all the way up to Cape Reinga, then back down and across to the Coromandel, then down the east coast. Either go straight to the Hawkes Bay, or follow the road round to East Cape, Gisborne and then Hawkes Bay. You can the go over the Napier Taupo road and explore the volcanic plateau. If you have time, you can either go down to the Wairarapa and across to Wellington, or you could go further west towards Taranaki / Raglan then back to Auckland.

If you decide to go south, either fly direct to Christchurch or you could take an internal flight to say Nelson and pick up a rental. The far north western tip of the SI is very pleasant, especially Nelson Lakes, Abel Tasman, and even right out to Farewell Spit. Then head south down the West Coast (bring some wet weather gear). Take your time, there are plenty of sites here, including the bush (forest), old gold mines, glaciers, etc. Then across to Central Otago and to Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound. Then across to Dunedin and up to Christchurch.

Bring your film with you. You could get it developed in the major centres (Christchurch, Auckland, Wellington), but it will be cheaper back home. Make sure you keep it in your hand-luggage. DO NOT BRING IN ANY FOOD, not even food you were given in the plane. Expect that wooden tripods, walking shoes, etc. may be taken for cleaning. Watch the sun, the burn times are very short. Enjoy the bush walks, but do be careful and make sure you are prepared as the weather can change very quickly.

Have fun, and feel free to contact me if you wish.

Hi Jon,
    If you try and do both Islands you`ll spend far too much time travelling and miss out on taking photos,
    I love photographing in both Islands but if one had to choose it would have to be the South.... and flying into Christchurch will save you time.
    The most dramatic landscape that is easily accessable is Fiordland and the south west coast..... with its stunning bush and mountains and glaciers. The central lakes ..Queenstown ,Wanaka, Hawea, Ohau, Tekapo, and Pukaki are all spectacular and are all reatively close to each other they could keep you occupied for your whole trip and longer !!!
    I`m a large format user based in Central Otago, feel free to contact me offline.

Ian

If you get a chance, take a day and drive through the Catlins in the far south of the South Island. You can drive via Queenstown to Invercargill to Dunedin and get in most of the sights if you leave at 6 a.m. Highlights include Curio Bay, Niagara Falls ;-), McLean Falls, Lake Wilkie, Purakaunui Falls, Nugget Point and others. E-mail me and I'll give you more details.

Re: New Zealand advice and locations

So Jon, how was your trip? Can you share some of your experience as we have another forum member looking to go.

I also highly recommend the west cost of the south island, as well as the Fjordland region (which includes Milford sound) and Abel tasman (North West of south island). You will find some pro photo developers in Auckland and perhaps Christchurch.
    Last edited by Brent McSharry; 4-Nov-2006 at 01:11.

Saulius - I've replied to his topic. Thanks, Jon

Jon,
    I spent two weeks in NZ last April. We spent all the time in the bottom half of the South Island ( between Christchurch and Milford Sound)-and the 2 weeks were not nearly enough time. We drove a circular route - Christchurch through Arthurs Pass to Greymouth, then down the west coast past Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers and on to Wanaka. We then went on to Queenstown, had a side trip to Glenorchy and Paradise, and back to Queenstown. We then went to Te Anu to walk the Milford Track ( fabulous) we then went back to Milford Sound, then back to Queenstown. We then drove back to Christchurch through the Canterbury area - to complete the circle.
    This route worked well - we saw a variety of scenery and had a multitude of photo ops.
    The roads are excellent, there is not very much traffic - so you can just amble along if you wish. People are very friendly and courteous. Motels are excellent, and inexpensive in comparison with US,UK and Australian prices.
    Film is expensive and difficult to find - so bring it with you.
    Immigration and Customs people were very friendly and polite.
    We only saw a small part of NZ - but, I felt a bit frustrated in that the 2 weeks were not nearly enough time to see all we wished to see - I could have spent a week just going from Q'town to Paradise and Glenorchy and back -there is so much to see and photograph.
    There is a guy on the Queenstown wharf who sells prints - he uses a 6 X 17 - he has some nice shots, I got talking to him and he was very helpful re sites.
    If you go to Q'town dont miss the chairlift - fabulous views of the Remarkables - I missed - and I still regret it. Will have to go back again SOON.
    Contact me if you need any further info re this route.
    John

I live in NZ so hopefully I can help here.
    I shoot 4X5 and find it hard to buy film and get film processed.
    To buy 4X5 film in NZ try Photo and Video international loacted in CHCH (www.photo.co.nz) I get the film sent to me on the west coast so you should be able to do the same to another part in the country. Wellington and Auckland also have places to buy 4x5 film but dont expect to buy it anywhere else.
    To process I send all my film to Imagelab in CHCH (imagelab.co.nz) who process it and send it back. they do a good job. There is a Imaglab in wellington as well. In Auckland try PCL.

If you want to make the most of photography in NZ be prepared to go out in all weather bring gum boots (wellingtons?) and a large water proof unbrella so you can take images in the rain. I would recommend a traveling in a campervan to make the most of your trip and stay close to great shots that require an early start.

Feel free to ask some questions and Ill see if I can help

Craig