Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand advice and locations

New Zealand advice and locations

Hi again everyone. I have a trip scheduled for New Zealand in less than 2 weeks. We'll be there for 2 weeks. Can anyone give me some recommendations on locations for landscape shooting or recommendations on how to go about the whole thing? I'll have my Tachihara, a Mamiya 6, and a Canon 20D. I think my wife will primarily use the latter.

I'll be bringing a *lot* of film - color slides, negs, and B&W. Does it make sense to find someone there who will develop for me or should I bring the exposed film back with me too?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - especially from some people who have been or who live in NZ. I'm very excited about the trip and would love to capture some stunning landscapes. Becuase of the nature of the trip, I'll be able to take photos wherever/whenever I want, but I'll be somewhat tied to a schedule once we make one, so lighting may not match up with the ideal time to take a particular photo.

Thanks everyone,
    Jon

Hey Jon I don't have any advice to give but I am intending in going there myself in 2007. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to recommend and if you could, please write back and let us know how your trip went one you get back. Enjoy!

Hi Jon,

I was there about 2 months ago. We drove from Christchurch to Wanaka down to Queenstown. Then from Queenstown to Milford Sound. Coming from Australia I was completely amazed by how 'mountainous' the place compared to 'good o flat Australia'. It was Lord of the Rings scenery throughout. I shot with a toyo AII with a 90/210mm. You need to bring your own film if you shoot large format. I bought some 120mm in Christchurch and Queenstown. If I had to recommend one part of the trip it would be the drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound. It is utterly spectacular. Weather was mild(5C-25C). Should warmer now. I brought wet weather gear although it didn't rain much during the trip. I brought stuff back to develop in Australia and put the film through carry on. Got x-rayed and it came out fine. I think there is a prolab in Christchurch where they might even develop 5x4

Li-hsia

I spent a couple of weeks on the north island about 15 years ago and loved it. Lots of nice places for landscape work. When driving around in the mountains, pay close attention to the vegetation in the gullies and ravines - the ferns and other plants there look almost prehistoric. The south island, which I wasn't able to visit, is completely different in character, I understand, but also very beautiful.

You might also want to post your inquiry on the APUG forum (http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php), as I believe there are a couple of New Zealanders who post there.

Thanks for the replies so far. I failed to mention that I plan to cover both islands, and am currently torn between trying to see a little of everything or more of fewer things (my wife leans towards the former and I'm torn either way). When the trip comes to a close, I will be sure to post my experiences and perhaps some scans.

Jon

I'm in Wellington at the bottom of the North Island. As Ralph says there's plenty of interesting stuff to photograph in the north but if I was on limited time I would highly recommend spending more time in the south. The scenery down there is simply spectacular. The route Li-hsia took is not to be missed, if I was only going to one place that would be it.

The interesting thing about NZ is there's a bit of everything, mountains, lakes, volcanoes, geysers, glaciers, the list goes on and on......and great fishing if you have time.

Clayton

You're in for a real treat! My wife and I honeymooned in NZ in '99 and
    absolutely fell in love with the place - great people and food - spectacular and
    diverse scenery. I've been trying to figure out a way to get back ever since. I
    have a
    <a target="_blank" href="http://baconphoto.com/travel/1999-nz/index.shtml">
    travelogue</a> on my website and would be happy to respond to questions via
    email.

Jon--
    I completely second Li-hsia's advice and add the following : don't waste time on the North Island. The South Island is where you want to be and all the places Li-hsia mentions are spectacular.
    We flew from Rotorua on the North Island to Queenstown (stopping off in Christchurch) and we said that if the plane had turned right around and taken us home from there that would have been enough beauty for a lifetime, and we thought ourselves so lucky that we were able to get off the plane in Queenstown and spend a week in the area.
    I developed my 120 E6 at Ken's Lab in Christhcurch (http://www.kens.co.nz/), a few blocks north of Cathedral Square. It took only a few hours.
    have a great trip!
    --Alex

Jon,

I spent a week on the South Island this past summer. The North Island has its attractions, but I found the western side of the southern island to be far more dramatic. Imagine draping the Amazon rain forest over very steep (pyramidal) mountains, and that's what the southern end of the South Island is like. That's the Milford Sound and associated region ... The road from Te Anau to Milford Sound is spectacular, you can spend several days doing just that. Return for different light conditions, different times of day.

The Catlin mountains on the eastern side of the South Island are interesting, but quite pastoral. I'm glad I went there, but I wouldn't return for photographic purposes.

If you've got questions, please feel free to write me offline.

Joffre Swait

You are what you see

I agree with Scott's and Joffre's advice. I was on sabbatical in 1996 in Hamilton (N.I.) and spent weekends driving to different parts of the North Island--quite beautiful. The last two weeks we packed the car and toured the South Island, which is less populated, and remarkable in that one can drive a relatively small distance and see dramatic changes in the landscape. The Kaikoura region in the NE of the SI is nice for a dramatic image of the mountains edging up to the ocean (and sea life, the Kaikoura peninsula). And the west coast of the SI, the Pukaiki coast, is unique, with a tropical microclimate (palms) at Pancake Rocks in the National Park--those limestone formations are great LF studies. Further down the west coast you will have a chance to take a (short) hike to two glaciers (Franz-Josef and Fox), which are in a region of temperate rain forest. As the other responses indicate, the drive from Wanaka (through Queenstown, Te Anu) to Milford is not to be missed. Expect rain at Milford Sound. There are tremendous LF photography opportunities, and plan to bring your exposed film home for development. The exchange rate is favorable for US travelers, and the family-owned motels are well-kept. Two-lane roads throughout--watch out for the sheep! If you want any more advice, contact me offline...

Howard