Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Zone System book?

Which Zone System book?

I used Steve Simmons' book (Using the View Camera) to start the large format photograph. It is a very good book. I was asking my instructor for a Zoom System book. He showed me following books that he has collected for many yeas.

(1) The Negative - Ansel Adams
    (2) Beyond the Zone System Workbook - Phil Davis
    (3) The Practical Zone System - Chris Johnson
    (4) Zone System Step-by-Bystep Guide for Photographers - Brian Lav
    (5) The New Zone System Manual - White;Zakia;Lorenz
    (6) Zone Systemizer for Creative Photographic Control - John Dowdell;Richard Zakia
    (7) The Zone System Craftbook - John Charles Woods
    (8) Zone VI Workshop - Fred Picker
    (9) The Art of Photography - Bruce Barnbaum

Could you tell me which one is the best to follow?

Thank you

Which Zone System book?

This could get ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Zone System book?

I recommend '' The New Zone System Manual '' ( White, Zakia and Lorenz ) . Detailed instructions for 35mm, 120 and large format.

Which Zone System book?

Beyond the Zone System. You'll read it several times before getting the message, but once you do, and go through the graphing, you'll get an incredible amount of information from five sheets of film. See the posts from a day of two ago.

Which Zone System book?

I think there are things in the White, Zakia, Lorenz book regarding approach that you will not find in the others. It is a difficult read at first because of Minor's contribution, but ultimately that is what makes it special . Lav's book looks good from the brief read I gave it.

Another that I would recommend not on your list is John Schaeffer's Ansel Adams Basic Guide to Photography Book 1. Schaeffer has excerpted Adams' books (The Camera, The Negative, The Print, etc.,) and put together what I consider to be a pretty good practical introduction to Ansel's concept. Not as meaty as the individual Adams' books, but a good introductory look at the Zone System. The Negative is the Bible of the Zone System and has enough in it to keep you occupied for several years and readings.

I'd also recommend Ansels' Examples: the Making of 40 Photographs which give you insight to how he actually worked in the field and visualized the images.

Picker is worth about 5 minutes of your time. Pick up a copy at the public library and read it over lunch. Haven't seen Barnbaum's book but I suspect he'll guide you through the standard zone system approach and then tell you to bleach everything with potassium ferricyanide.

My $0.02

Which Zone System book?

1. Fred Picker Zone VI workshop to start quick (you can have a copy for a few bucks)

2. John Schaeffer's Ansel Adams Guide Basic Techniques of Photography Book 1 & 2

3. Ansel's books are I think a must. Not only the 3 (Camera, Print, Negative - both old and new editions as there is wealth of information in older ones but that made them a bit more complicated). Also "Examples - The making of 40 photographs"

4. Basic photographic Materials and Processes (Focal Press - by Stroebel, Compton, Current, Zakia). Here you will get a quick yet technical overview of the Zone System, but this book is in my opinion THE one volume every photographer should have as it covers most every aspect of the photographic process.

I'm sure that books mentioned by others will help too.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Which Zone System book?

8) Zone VI Workshop - Fred Picker

Do what he says, keep good notes, and learn from your mistakes. If you always do a "proper proof" and compare it back to your field notes, it will come to you quickly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Which Zone System book?

Another vote for beyond the zone system.

Which Zone System book?

I have most of the above books and read them .
    Fred Picker is a good introduction, but I would like to reccomend " John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop" . It is a recent book by a commensurate artist and teacher who explains the Zone system in a clear, sensible and practical way. The book is also an education in the process of working as an art phototographer. You can see from his work just how much of a master John is.

Which Zone System book?

My book has a quick start zone system section that is based on Picker's method. I will be doing another how-to in the Jan issue of View Camera.

Since this seems to be such a hot topic View Camera will be looking at different testing methods in 06.

Try Schaeffer's book. He was very knowledgeable.

steve simmons