Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Best Photograph

Your Best Photograph

I have many favourites, but this one is special. The idea was to produce a melancholy, pre-Rapahelite type of image with this model in medieval dress. The trouble was that this spot was infested by mosquitoes. The model could hardly stay quiet for more than a second or two, and I had to focus the 4x5 as quickly as I could, still using some front swing to keep the thing in focus and suffering quite a few bites myelf. I actually shot this picture twice (each side of the holder). One picture came out totally blank (in my haste, I probably forgot to cock the shutter or to remove the dark slide!) and the second one... well, see by yourselves.

Exposure was about 1/2 s @ f/16, on Ilford HP5+. The camera was my old, beaten 4x5 (probably some kind of Korona clone from the 1920's) and the lens, a 7.5 inch, f/4.5 Ilex Anastigmat Paragon - rather ancient stuff, but it works well.

Your Best Photograph

yout link does not work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Your Best Photograph

Try pasting the link into your browser: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2535072-lg.jpg

Your Best Photograph

That's odd, the link works for me and displays the picture perfectly. Perhaps becasue I ued true HTML and not the proposed tags. Try to click here.

Your Best Photograph

In my HUMBLE opinion, the photograph in question suffers from modern technology. It is far too sharp, too well color corrected; we see every mistake.

Your Best Photograph

Here is your image.

Your Best Photograph

I've been shooting with view cameras for nearly 55 years, and don't think that I've ever made any really good, much less best, LF picture.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Your Best Photograph

Reading this thread got my wife and I into a discussion on what my best image was. We were eventually able to decide on this one. This photograph was made as a result of a 4 day backpacking trip the main purpose of which was to get a good negative of this valve.

Ben

www.benjamincrane.com

Your Best Photograph

Ben, WOW! I went on a climbing/backpack trip to that exact same spot that you took your photograph, which is at Third Lake right below Temple Crag on the North Fork of Big Pine Creek in the Eastern Sierras. And believe it or not, I have an almost identical photograph as yours. However, mine is in color and was taken with a simple point-and-shoot camera. I'll have to dig it up and post it to show you.

Cheers!

Mike
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Your Best Photograph

Well I don't really have a favorite image. I guess it might be the latest successful image I've made and in this case this one was done a couple of weeks ago. It was taken along the Deschutes River near Benham Falls in Central Oregon. There was a steady snowfall but the long exposure does not allow you to see the snowflakes falling but they did soften the image a bit. The light was fading as I got set up so I had to hurry and I had a heck of a time keeping the flakes from hitting the lens. After putting in the time necessary to work an image and print it I tend to get a bit tired of it so my next successful image would be my favorite. As the saying goes it's "what have you done for me lately?"
    It was taken with a 4x5 Shen Hao, Nikon 150mm W, Astia 100F using a warming filter and if I recall correctly it was at about 2-4 seconds at F22 or 32 (got to check my notes). I changed the image to B&W in Photoshop. I'd like to try it again under similar conditions but with better light and maybe without snow falling.