Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for new tripod head

looking for new tripod head

I'm looking to upgrade my current tripod head. I'm looking for a three way tilt pan head for my gitzo 1340. I currently have the Bogen 488 ballhead with quick release. I find that it doesn't lock down tightly enough. When I insert the film holder I can see the entire setup moving slightly. I'm looking for something around $100. I'm looking at the Bogen 3047, and the 329 both with the quick release. Does anyone have a ny experience with either of these? Any other suggestions? I'm shooting 4x5. Thanks!

Brian

Slik 700DX

Spare 3/8 plate

probably comes with a 1/4 plate but if you ask you may be able to get it with 3/8 plate.

The head is actually 4 way because it rotates from below(twist lock) and the plate also rotates if you slacken the plate release lever. To take out the plate you need to release the lever and press the release safety button which you can't see in the photo.

I use it with a Technikardan 4x5. The two tilt levers will screw out completely for packing in a rucksack if necessary.

If you are willing to go used, you could do like I just did and pick up a Gitzo lo-rise 3-way off ePay, in that price range. The 3047 will also work fine, but it is too bulky and heavy, IMHO.

I use the Bogen 3047 head, but not the new style with the snap lock clamp. I bought five of the older versions, with the screw lock clamp as the snap lock will slip when loading the CFH, especially when in landscape mode. I can even use them with the Toyo 8x10 camera they lock very tight and the hex plate prevents swinging movements that a round plate might not prevent. Paul

I used the 3047 for quite a while with a Linhof Technika camera (about six pounds), it's a perfectly fine head IMHO.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The 329 has come in at least three versions:

1. Earliest I know of: square cast cork-top QR plate, red release button, metal lockdown knob on bottom (I use this one)

2. Second version: square cast cork-top QR plate, plastic lockdown knob

3. Third version: big new QR plate with rubber top, appears to spring-lock

I bought it because it was a lot shorter than the 3047, didn't take the giant hex plates, and had the shorty handles. I use it with a Gowland 8x10, and I used to use it with 4x5. I think it's OK unless you have a heavy camera (>4kg) or do a lot of macro. It has held up for 5 years, though, and I can't say that for much equipment I've used (like my closet full of broken Calumets).

Problems:

Mine requires you to compose a little above what you want, because it shifts down a bit when you crank down on the up-down lever. The shorty handles on mine also bent a bit when I tightened them hard, so I have to be careful with them now. And I'm not really wild about any Bogen QR system; the early version I have doesn't convert easily to an Arca-style clamp (though this looks cured with the new plates).

My biggest beef is with the shifting when you tighten it down. Since that sort of defeats the purpose of a 3D head, I'm probably going to replace it with a ballhead.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

another vote for the 3047. never imagined needing anything better.

If you like the feel of the 3047, treat yourself to the 3039. It's more expensive, but worth it. It's the same design as the 3047, but upgraded. Controls are smooth, but it can handle up to 26 pounds. Using this head, you'll never have a problem with grip. It takes the same hexagonal plates.

Some guy on Ebay is selling a Gitzo Rationale head with a starting bid of $55.00. I have that very head on my Gitzo and it locks down like a stone. If you don't mind clunky, that looks like a good choice. I think it closes tonight, though. Just don't compete with me on the Ball Head, though, okay?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

When I insert the film holder I can see the entire setup moving slightly.

Are you saying that, when you insert the holder the head lets the camera move -- and stay moved -- or that it wiggles but goes back to where you set it after the holder in in place?