Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schematic diagram flash

Schematic diagram flash

Hi,

I want to build a high power flash for large format photography, I received as a gift 24 1100uF x 450v capacitors. I couldn't find any schematic to get a circuit idea. I've seached the internet but it was of no avail. Is there a place were I can buy a service manual?

Thanks,

Jacques

Schematic diagram flash

Before you get very far with this, are you an electronics person? Do you know about electrical safety? Have you designed interlocks? Do you know how to calculate a bleeder resistor? This is a VERY DANGEROUS project. The caps can hold a lethal charge for days. Faults can put lethal voltages where you don't expect it. I have designed cap banks, have worked with high voltage for years. I bought a commercial unit. Where I work, working on such a unit requires a safety observer, trained in CPR, ready to call the paramedics, and who knows how to turn it off!

Eric Woodbury

Schematic diagram flash

Jacques,

Jim is right. Be careful and don't attempt unless this is really your calling. I've been designing electronics for 30 years and I bought White Lightning strobes. I don't think you can improve on the design, so what is the point.

If you do continue, be real careful of inductance. Your voltages can exceed what you might think if your conductors are too far apart or take a bend somewhere. This can lead to your unit working and then the transistors getting blown later.

I would look for schematics as application notes from vendors of the FETs or maybe from Linear Tech. You need to pick a tube, so you have something to design around. Tube vendors may have a design.

Good luck.

EW
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Schematic diagram flash

Jim and Eric,
    I know electronics, I have built high voltage linear amplifiers for ham operation with 4 kv power supplies. I have a 2500w-s strobe, but I want something more powerful for my 8x10. I donīt need bells and whistles in my flash project. I really don't want to spend too much time in reverse engineering, B&H sells replacement flash tubes so buying the tube is no problem. I found schematics on low power hand held strobes, the principle is the same. Trigger coil inductance, trigger voltage and some other parameters will help me. I have already measured my strobe but I want to be sure I will not ruin my new flash tubes.
    Thanks,
    Jacques

Schematic diagram flash

I am curious, when you say you want more flash power for you 8x10 camera....what exactly do you mean? Why is a 810 camera different then a MF camera? Same coverage, maybe a few higher f stops if your seeking DOF... is that it? You plan to shoot at f22 and need to overcome the smaller aperture?

Is the subject moving? If not multi-pops works great.

If you get the bulb working from B&H, what would the guide number be for your finished product?

Schematic diagram flash

Hi Bill,
    I am shooting portraits, so poping isn"t possible. I'am using f64 as a diafragm setting, also I am using a ISO 64 film

Schematic diagram flash

You need a small thermo-nucelar weapon for that....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Schematic diagram flash

So what GN will your flash produce?

Schematic diagram flash

At least 160

Schematic diagram flash

GN 160 isn't bright enough for F64 at any reasonable distance.

Typo?