Thread: Burke & James 5 x 7 camera

Burke & James 5 x 7 camera

Hi all. This my first post on this forum. I've searched and have gotten much infiormation. Anyways I've just inhearated a Burke & James 5 x 7, red bellows, camera from a 93 year old neighbor that just passed. He hasn't been married since WWII and has always had more than enough money to buy toys after toys, after toys, always top of the line items. Money has not been a problem so he would quite ofter would buy a dozen of something even if he only needed just one, and ALWAYS TOP OF THE LINE! (must be nice) After his death and getting ready for the auction he had boxes of stuff that was never taken out of the orginial shipping boxes. His large basement looked like the back room or a hardware, woodworking, hobby shop. Shelf after shelf of unboxed stuff. 99% or his stiff was never used or opened. I truly believe this camera and tripod is part of the 99% of the suff. Not being familiar with this kind of camera I have no idea what I have. Good/Bad or just a conversion piece. It came with the orginial black box (still very shinny), 2 little rings that look like they have something to do with the lense, a stick on magnafier for focusing, 2 film holders, and a factory lense that looks like it was made yesterday.
    The tripod is a magistic. It has a large flat plate for the camera, 3 leveling bubbles, several knobs, a crank to raise it up and a screw gear box for tilting the camera up and down. It will go up to about 9 feet. There are no makes where the camera has ever been mounted on it and the legs aren't marked by the tightening screws.

Can any one tell me what I have? Good, bad or just a conversation piece?
    Thanks for your input. Terry

The B&J is an excellent camera to use. Though a bit bulkier than the clamshells, very capable.

One in unused pristine shape is a definite plus. The majestics are very sturdy as well. Not a light kit by all means, but definitely a user.

Lots of beat up B&J's on ebay and some nice users so parts are out there...

Enjoy it. Maybe post what the lens on it is, the writing around rim..
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

See my response to this same question posted in photo.net.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Terry,

Most B&Js I've seen have been rode hard and put away wet. Your camera sounds like a jewel. Use it and enjoy it. That Old Timer left you a treasure. Get a copy of Steve Simmons "Using The View Camera" and have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Terry, the best thing about the B&J is nobody's boing to storm the doors trying to get it so you may as well go make some pictures and have some fun with it. Order some "Arista" film from Freestyle Sales Co., get a book or find a free workshop, put some film in the holders and "have at it." 5X7 is a very nice size for a contact print. You simply lay the negs on top of a piece of 8X10 paper and shine some light through. You can get jewel like prints from almost any lens. What does the lens say around it up by the front glass?

Here is the info I found on the lense. It says No. 4 universal, Ilex optical company. Top numbers start a 1 and go to 125, Then B and T. Bottom numbers go from 32 to 5.6. This info on the part that hold the glass. Anastigmat, Sy-32, f/5.6, 210mm, Carl meyer. Hopes this helps some. As far as what I'm going to do with it? I don't know, I'm not a user of this kind of camera an probably never will be. As far as wanting to know the value, I guess it never hurts to know what its worth if some one has an idea. that would be great. Its kind of neat to look at and gets lots of attention of vistitors.
    Thanks again Terry.

The biggest problem with large format photography is that it is incredibly addictive. I had a similar camera as my introduction to large format, and in some ways I wish I still had it. The more modern cameras are beautiful to look at and consequently, every time they brush against a tree branch or bush I tend to cringe inside. But the old B&J (and the Ansco, basically the same camera,) -- who cares? What's another dent in the battleship gray paint? They just beg to be used.

Based on recent E-bay sales, you could probably expect between $150-$200 at auction. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. E-bay prices are rather dependant on how well you write the add, the pictures you show, and what else is going on in the world that week.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Should you sell these items on eBay, don't sell them as a package, auction camera, lens and tripod separately.

"Carl Meyer" was a Burke & James housebrand and lenses under that name varied a great deal.