Thread: purchasing frames

purchasing frames

I have been purchasing a lot of my frames at a nationwide chain store at very good prices. However these frames are no longer available, replaced with "new" models at over double the price and plastic instead of glass inserts.

I use the frames for a wide variety of art and photography around my home and would like to buy in small quantities of 10-20 frames per size. I am a hobbiest not professsional and the frames are for my personal use. I mostly prefer black wooden frames but do use others as well.

Any suggestions, references and or resources for where to buy on line or over the phone?

Thanks

purchasing frames

I'm always amazed at the availability of black picture frames at garage sales, both wood and metal, often in new condition and usually priced at $0.50 each. I buy as many as I can find and as a consequence usually have a couple of dozen on shelves in the garage, waiting to be used. 8x10 frames are common as can be; larger ones usually have some (awful) "artwork" in them which gets thrown out. The 8x10 size are so common, in fact, that I've stopped buying them if they cost more than fifty cents each.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

purchasing frames

You don't indicate what your good prices are but

I buy black metal nielson frames (N117 i think) from framesbymail.com. A 13"x15" frame with acid free backing board and fiberglass works out to about $17 each. You don't have to get the board or fiberglass.

I find metal nielson frames much nicer than painted wood and fiberglass is a lot less breakable than glass. Fiberglass is more expensive than glass.

Mostly i am satisfied with their cut jobs, but you will have to clean the frame pieces a little and sometimes the cut is slightly off, but still workable. I had one fiberglass piece with a small scratch (out of like 50). I am sure they would have sent me new parts if I insisted.

-dan

purchasing frames

If you have an Ikea near by look at the Ribba frames. Not that expensive. Seem to be always in stock. Range from small to fairly large. The biggest ones don't use glass I think.

purchasing frames

Quantities of 10-20 at a clip ought to be enough to get you setup with an account at Tara Frames (http://www.tarapf.com/). As a benchmark their Vineyard Oak frames are $2.99 for an 8x10 frame. I find this to be one of the more popular frames I sell.

purchasing frames

I buy through amicanframe.com and have been satisfied. This outfit makes it easy to get custom sizes in frames matts or whatever. IKEA is great but of course they only have certain set proportions. I do like their square frames.

purchasing frames

I recently purchased several dozen black wooden frames at framedestination.com and have been very satisfied. They sell frame kits that come with your choice of frame color and style, acid-free mat, foamcore, plexiglass, and hanging kit. The prices are very reasonable - $24.00 for an 8x10 kit - and I have been impressed with the quality of the materials and service.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

purchasing frames

i've had good luck with american frame and also westfallframing.com. westfall sells good quality wooden frame kits ... they cut unfinished moulding for you, and you assemble and finish them. nice results ... probably a little spendier than nielsen frames, but much cheaper than custom wood ones.