Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Hire a Mac Consultant?

Ever Hire a Mac Consultant?

Wondering if any of the 200 or so hard core posters have ever hired and paid a Macintosh, Photoshop, or digital imaging consultant?(instead of taking a class or learning from friends or on your own...) Are there any particularly good ones out there, with websites and fee schedules? I've heard of Ansel's ex-assistants getting big consulting jobs for traditional printing help so I'm wondering if there are equivilants on the digital darkroom side?

Of course!!!
    Same concept. Some people are just better printers!
    I am not sure if you are asking to provide your own personal services or you are in search of one. Currently, a member of this list, Michael Gordon, is helping me with an image. His proofs are far superior to anything my skills can produce at this time. To me, it is money well spent to complete my vision. I can get my vision finalized and learn something new in the process.
    His website is here:
    http://www.mgordonphotography.com/services.htm

I have done this kind of consulting. Some people learn by hacking, some by taking a class, some by sitting alone with a book, and some with tutoring one-on-one. It's fun, especially when the student is familiar with traditional photographic methods, and wants to approach the same level of image quality on the computer.

What's a Mac? ;-)

Hmmm... so you're planning to get this RV, put an Epson 9600 in it, drive around and consult on location, pulling off the road occasionally to shoot scenics with some unwieldy studio camera?

I did it locally in Raleigh NC, was able to ge t a regular mac guy to keep me from making too many stupid mistakes, well worth it, although he was not a photoshop EXPERT.

What do you need to do on a Mac with CS (photoshop) that you can't on a Wintel machine?

I don't want to do it myself, but I have a friend who is thinking about doing it for commercial photogs. Since you guys are mostly nature types I was wondering how many retired Radiologists and Dentist types were out there for him to call on, and what the market is like?

The RV is another guy, who wants to sell at art festivals "on the spot". The thinking is that people would like to pick up their prints at the end of the day, while his wife sits in the hot RV all day printing the orders... or something like that.

Ralph, when I sent away for my official artist's license one of the requirements was that I had to have a Macintosh computer. Now that you are in the midst of an artist's paradise, how did you get a wavier?

LOL Frank. Or at least tittering. Maybe he just enjoys hasseling with viri and spyware.