Thread: Kodak T Max 400 LF/ULF Clarification

Kodak T Max 400 LF/ULF Clarification

I wanted to further clarifying the details of the Kodak T Max 400 LF/ULF film purchase opportunity.

At this point as we complete the last remaining contractual details with Kodak, we are currently in the pre-order interest and providing information to the prospective customer phase. We expect that this process will be completed very soon. J&C Photo is the exclusive dealer for this offering and very shortly there will be an order form on the J&C web site for accepting payment for specific quantities and sizes. At this time you will have the opportunity to reserve your sheet film requirements with expected delivery dates posted.

www.jandcphotography.com

Click on the Shopping Cart tab and you will see the T Max ULF posting.

Where the order forms are available online, I would graciously request that all LF and ULF photographers please reach for their check book and make a serious commitment to this very unique opportunity to acquire a marvelous sheet film that has never been cut in ULF sizes.

Our future as a film consuming group is dependent upon connecting prospective film interest to actual financial transactions as that was one of the critical components in dealing with Kodak to get them to arrive at this arrangement with J&C.

But also recognize that J&C is willing to step up to commit to cutting an entire master roll to make this happen to avoid the Special Order pricing for small quantities that has been the standard business practive with Kodak in the past. Our support is absolutely critical to J&C as they have been a light in the harbor over the last few years to the LF community in making many new films in every imaginable size available to us at our hour of need. It is our turn to reciprocate in this relationship.

We are providing you with as much lead time as possible to afford you the opportunity to prepare for the date when orders can be properly taken.

Thanks all of you for your support!

I'm a 5x4 shooter so I'm on the sidelines for this deal. But I do have a question - how many square meters to a master roll? What are the "usable" dimensions (I'm assuming that they'll trim the edges and both ends where the process starts and stops)?

Bruce Watson

It is a sizeable quantity Bruce in the range of 500 meters long by maybe 3 meters wide. I can find out if you want but we are dictating how it is cut. A state of the art electronic film cutter takes the requested proportions and optimizes the cutting to minimize all waste - both ends and anything in the middle. The film cost is based upon the boxed proportions and the waste is a cost of the film companies doing business.

Cheers!

Sounds like a very interesting process, to say the least.

Michael...I realize you probably haven't had enough time to get an answer but please don't forget about the question in the other thread regarding the "original vs. UV blocking base." This is important for all of us alt-process folks and will certainly have an impact on the number of people willing to participate.

Thanks!

I spoke to two independent technical people at Kodak just to make absolutely sure I am getting the correct information and have I the following results to share with the group:

The current T Max 400 sheet film from Kodak DOES NOT have the UV blocking base and there are no efforts underway to change this condition.

Hope this helps you Alt Process guys get on board!

Cheers and Pass the word.......

I will verify from experience that TMAX-400 film, unlike TMAX-100, has never had a base that blocks UV light.

TMAX-400 is an outstanding film for LF and ULF work. It has high speed with very low reciprocity failure and a very straight line curve. It also has great zonal expansion and contraction potential, and can be developed to a very high average gradient, a point of special interest for printers using alternative processes such as Pt./Pd. that require negatives of high contrast.

If I could have only one film for all of my LF work, from 5X7 to ULF formats, it would definitely be TMAX-400. And now, thanks to the hard work, negoitiating skills and perseverance of Michael Kadillak, and to John at JandC, it looks like this will be possible.

Don't miss out here because this train may not leave the station again.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon