Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fisheye for 8x10? What is the widest ever?

Fisheye for 8x10? What is the widest ever?

Gee, I've been using a Schneider Super Angulon 65mm with a double recessed lens board on my Calumet 8x10 for decades... ya just gotta love circular images, get over aspect ratios and take plenty of snapshots. Oh, and make sure you have a person in the pic or it might be boring... maybe.

Another that I've posted about before is the 120mm/f:14 Berthiot Perigraphe. Just covers with slight movements in barrel, a little less since I had it mounted in an Ilex #3 shutter a few years ago, but I've been tempted to send the adapter back to SK Grimes and have them mill off the filter threads I originally asked for in the adapter. It turns out that any filter on this lens vignettes with 8x10", so I mounted a 3" square filter holder on the back of the lensboard to solve that problem, and I no longer need the filter threads.

David: I also have the 120/f14 Berthiot Perigraphe, in the original barrel with the Waterhouse stops. Did SK Grimes manage to mount your lens with the shutter between the elements, or is it front/read mounted on the shutter?

It sure is a small jewel of a lens.

Re: Fisheye for 8x10? What is the widest ever?

Oh, and old, old post but I'm a bulldog for weird stuff.

Working on a ULF fisheye originally intended as a super-wide window with huge eye-relief for WWII bombers, in particular the B-25. It's front group is about 14" in diameter. Yeah, insane, but we gotta challenge practicality to make it stronger against impossibility. Will make some digital snaps of it when it cools off some here.

The company that made the window also documented a camera lens that incorporated the front group.

Note that I have not mention patents because to support the war effort the inventors chose not to lock the design into a patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_5479 View Post
    fisheye
    As PJ pointed we have no fisheyes for LF, a fisheye has a particular great distortion, very far from rectilinear projections, for example Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection or equisolid.

Beyond rare hipergons, the widest 8x10 lens that is considered from regular commercial modern lenses is the Nikon SW 120mm. Well stopped superangulon 120 and 121 also covers the format, or nearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    As PJ pointed we have no fisheyes for LF, a fisheye has a particular great distortion, very far from rectilinear projections, for example Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection or equisolid.

Beyond rare hipergons, the widest 8x10 lens that is considered from regular commercial modern lenses is the Nikon SW 120mm. Well stopped superangulon 120 and 121 also covers the format, or nearly.
    To re-affirm your post, a fisheye is traditionally considered as having enormous 'global' distortion and does not always claim to full-frame coverage. This is a terminology point, but important. Sometimes for full-frame 35mm photography I use a 10mm lens which has more useful information than many 'fisheyes' and it has no global distortion at reasonable distances. It is rectilinear. Big difference as you note.

Terminology.

Imagine a similar rectilinear lens for ~8x0". Daunting, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    A fisheye is traditionally considered as having enormous 'global' distortion. This is a terminology point, but important. Sometimes for 35mm photography I use a 10mm lens which is 'wider' than many 'fisheyes' and it has no global distortion. It is rectilinear. Big difference.

Terminology.
    Jac, sadly we have no fishes for LF, perhaps it is because the front element would not be "tiny"

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Jac, sadly we have no fishes for LF, perhaps it is because the front element would not be "tiny"
    For certain, Pere. From my naive point-of-view I am starting with a monstrous first element but maybe it will be 'tiny' given a large enough format. Exciting times, n'est pas?

(In Back to the Future, Doc says, "That is the widest angle optical lens for a format yet to be made.)

Papi, the manufacturer claimed and some users confirm, others don't, that the 120/14 Perigraphe covers 8x10. Its front element's diameter is 21 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Papi, the manufacturer claimed and some users confirm, others don't, that the 120/14 Perigraphe covers 8x10. Its front element's diameter is 21 mm.
    Thanks for that. What is its angle of coverage, please?