Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fisheye for 8x10? What is the widest ever?

Re: Fisheye for 8x10? What is the widest ever?

Jac, in the 1936 catalog SOM Berthiot claimed that f/14 Perigraphes cover 106 degrees cleanly and illuminate 112 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jac, in the 1936 catalog SOM Berthiot claimed that f/14 Perigraphes cover 106 degrees cleanly and illuminate 112 degrees.
    ƒ 14? Insanely slow! What of a much wider cover at an astoundingly large physical aperture? I'm okay with being wrong, especially if I am the first to try. 'course finding the large enough format could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ƒ 14? Insanely slow! What of a much wider cover at an astoundingly large physical aperture? I'm okay with being wrong, especially if I am the first to try. 'course finding the large enough format could be an issue.
    Insanely slow? How about the f/18 Protar?

There are faster modern lenses that cover 120 degrees at around f/8. 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon, for example, but it isn't a large format lens. The 55, which just covers 4x5, covers 110 degrees. Schneider has a 120 degree lens too, you can look it up.

Scheme away. I b'lieve the path is well-trodden -- as I've told you, the 44/5.6 Super Aviogon covers 4x5, so at least 119 degrees, but probably not wide open -- and very steep. I hear that the air is thin at the summit. Can you afford Sherpas to carry you and your supplemental oxygen all the way to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh, and old, old post but I'm a bulldog for weird stuff.

Working on a ULF fisheye originally intended as a super-wide window with huge eye-relief for WWII bombers, in particular the B-25. It's front group is about 14" in diameter. Yeah, insane, but we gotta challenge practicality to make it stronger against impossibility. Will make some digital snaps of it when it cools off some here.

The company that made the window also documented a camera lens that incorporated the front group.

Note that I have not mention patents because to support the war effort the inventors chose not to lock the design into a patent.
    I can borrow one of those 'lens windows' .

I want to install it in a outside wall for obscura camera

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Insanely slow? How about the f/18 Protar?

There are faster modern lenses that cover 120 degrees at around f/8. 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon, for example, but it isn't a large format lens. The 55, which just covers 4x5, covers 110 degrees. Schneider has a 120 degree lens too, you can look it up. [...] snip futility [...]
    I have those lenses.

None of which cover larger than 8x10". As is said, "Think large or go home." Oh, and the subject is fisheye lenses, for better and probably worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I can borrow one of those 'lens windows' .
    I want to install it in a outside wall for obscura camera
    Sure, if you lived within 100 miles of me as you once did, ya Yankee traitor! Love ya, miss ya, Randy.

Jac et. al.,

Has anyone actually tried one of those fisheye "adapters" on 8x10? I know Kenko made one with 52mm threads that would fit some lenses. Not sure if there are larger thread-size adapters. Of course image quality will suffer...but it's 8x10, how much do you need?

That's long been something I've wanted to try but just never found one inexpensively when I was thinking about it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    JHas anyone actually tried one of those fisheye "adapters" on 8x10? I know Kenko made one [...]
    Aw, Corran yer gonna ruin it for all of us obsessed lens-twiddlers with your economical solution!

I still hope to see what you come up with. I think I saw a pic of the bomber window you refer to on one of the Facebook groups? Unless there's another floating out there. Either way, sounds interesting.

Speaking of non-economical solutions, I'm still hoping for a 75mm Hypergon to drop into my lap!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Jac et. al.,

Has anyone actually tried one of those fisheye "adapters" on 8x10? I know Kenko made one with 52mm threads that would fit some lenses. Not sure if there are larger thread-size adapters. Of course image quality will suffer...but it's 8x10, how much do you need?3d

That's long been something I've wanted to try but just never found one inexpensively when I was thinking about it.
    I used one for a long time for 4x5's with a 65mm f8 SA, and it worked well... A bit smaller than the film frame (but larger than a 6x6 frame) but looked great shooting chrome film... A 75mm probably would have been better for image size... Mine had a series 7 thread that would mount to many lenses somehow... The outer ring of the image had a slight loss of definition, but very passable for use, but I suspect all classic fisheye lenses would...

Best FL would be medium wides as you loose the full image with even a normal FL...

There can be flare outside the circle as it covers such a WA, and some light bounces out of of image area...

Fun, and I even used it for pro use several times for architecture jobs...

Steve K