Thread: scanning ULF negs

scanning ULF negs

I would like to scan some of my 11x14 B&W negs and was wondering what my options where? I will be using them for achiving and possibly larger digital neatives, I'm thinking Microteks 9800.

scanning ULF negs

The Microtek 9800 is a very good choice for this and you might find one discounted right now since Microtek has recently introduced a newer model, the 1000XL, which has double the resolution, i.e. 3600dpi for the 1000XL, 1600dpi for the 1000XL. But for ULF negatives 1600 dpi is more than you will ever need, assuming you don't want to make prints over about 4X the size of the original negative.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

scanning ULF negs

Epson also makes a scanner which can handle A3 transparencies (12x17") but it's more than double the price of the Microtek, so I don't think it's a contender for your application... The Microtek is indeed a good choice.

Now, if you want to scan your negatives only to get your images in a digital format, a much less expensive way would be to print your negatives on standard photo paper and scan those prints. There are non-transparency A3 scanners out there for much cheaper than what you would pay for the Microtek. But if you want high quality scans from the negatives, then you have no alternative than to bite the bullet and pay 2000$ for a scanner...

Just my 2 cents...

PJ

scanning ULF negs

Thanks for the response guys.
    Mike A