Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a film-changing bag in the field

Using a film-changing bag in the field

I used a Harrison Jumbo tent on a picnic table at Chaco in New Mexico at high noon several years ago with no problems. No shade at that location! Top of my head got burnt but that's another problem.

A changing tent is more practical than a bag, but if you really want to use a bag I'd suggest that you put inside the bag a small card board box or a card board lid and change your film in there.

Forget the card board box. It gives off plenty of paper dust.

I use the jumbo changing bag from Harrison for 11x14, with only two film holders right now I couldn't live with out it. I love this thing when I'm out all day, no excuses to go home just keep working.
    Mike

Wm. Blunt's mention of his using a changing bag at Chaco reminded me of my own changing bag experience there - as I was sitting, crosslegged, at the side of a trail, reloading some holders, when a middle aged man and his young daughter suddenly appeared. The girl was obviously very curious about my activity, and asked "dad, what's that man doing?" to which the dad replied, "never mind dear, lets just move along!"

I took a changing bag with me to Hawaii waaaay too long ago to shoot what funky old pre WW2 architecture remained in Waikiki. No problems, but I replaced the film in the box and had all the film holders 'buttoned up' before I withdrew my arms from the bag. YMMV of course!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Before I bought my Harrison Tent I was photographing at Pecos National Monument with Tillman Crane. We took a break and Tillman sat at a picnic table and changed his 12x20 holders in a Harrison Tent with extensions on the ends. He did this while we chatted. I figured right then that was the way to go instead of the old motel bathroom thing. I only use mine for up to 8x10 film but it works great.

Greetings,

I've successfully used the Harrison tent in the field and there are steps you can take to mitigate dust. Fisrt, you should invert the bag (turn it inside out) to make sure it is clean. Next, wipe the interior with a damp, not wet just lightly damp, lint free cloth. Doing both of these, plus making sure you roll up the sleeves of you shirt and just insert your bare arms will go a long way to ensuring you don't have dust problems. Additionally, I've used my harrison tent with 400 ISO film in the desert south west during mid day and did not have any light leaks, but you have to ensure you don't remove your arms while the film is open. Good luck!

Regards, Pete

Photographer and Traveler

Damp microfiber towels are great for wiping out the interior. They don't generate any new lint or dust; and are superb at picking up whatever is there. If you're fortunate enough to be working in a place with electricity I've found that the vacuum cleaners that copier repairmen use are invaluable. They can not only clean out the tent (don't bother with a bag unless all you're doing is loading 35mm on developing reels); but also can do a great job of cleaning off the film holders themselves. And finally, get some appropriately sized anti-static bags from any of several web vendors. When I pull a holder out of one of those bags any local dust literally falls off the holder. Before I found these I was convinced that my holders called to dust from throughout the universe.
    I also use one of the anti-static orange towels you can buy at camera stores to wipe down the holders before loading.
    All of this fastidiousness was the result of shooting 8x10 color transparency material for the last 15 or so years. A dust particle on the film essentially negated all the work and significant expense that went into making the photograph.
    Bob Younger
    Terra Nova Photography