Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographing Prints

Photographing Prints

I don't know if my idea will float, but I'll throw it out there. After reading Stephen Willard's post on using a Graphic for documentary photography, it got me thinking alot about people photography, in particular enviromental portraits and my alt printing. I have not done alot of enviromental protraits using LF, the last was with a 203 Ektar on my 4x5 Graphic, but it was kind of a hassle overall and I figured that mf was more my style for this. Since Stephen's post I have been thinking quite a bit about printing portrait 4x5 alt contacts again. I am now shooting a 6x9 Graphic with a 135mm lens; It is smaller to carry and I am more likely to use it since I can carry a lighter tripod and a smaller bag. I am wondering if I could get a decent 4x5 neg for contact printing thru photgraphing a print (not necessairly my print) from a 6x9 neg. I know there will be some sort of resolution loss, but I wonder how much of a tradeoff there will be. After exploring digital negs, I just can't get my energy up to go thru the process nor can I afford the expense at the present time. I have also tried internegatives, but that too is not my style. I thought that maybe, a copy stand and a reasonably sharp lens on my 4x5 camera would allow me to get a decent alt neg off a print. What are your thoughts on this?

Photographing Prints

Perhaps we can focus on another path: Exactly what makes using the 4x5 camera undesirable? I can certainly understand that movements are not necessary for a certain style, an possibly the bellows is questionable. If that's the issue, then I can point you to a very affordable bellows-free, but still collapsible 4x5, with rangefinder.

An aside - for alt printing, if you go with the interprocess, why not go for for 8x10 negs?

Photographing Prints

I would prefer the smaller camera, more for handheld use with flash, plus the smaller bag and tripod. The roll back gives me easier and cheaper processing, especially on the road, and I can still get proof prints made reasonably. My darkroom days are over for now as I am relocating and things are being packed and shipped and I won't have one up again for quite some time.

What I'm really looking at is getting prints made, but I want to still print alt's a little larger then 6x9. I can use my 4x5 as a copy camera with polaroid type 55 if necessary. If I could get a contact neg that isn't going to look like dog dirt, I'd be inclined to try.

Btw, what option did you have for a portable 4x5 beyond a Hobo?

Photographing Prints

If that's the issue, then I can point you to a very affordable bellows-free, but still collapsible 4x5, with rangefinder.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Photographing Prints

Oren Inquiring minds want to know... (about the bellows-free 4x5.)

Let me begin by saying that I know that some photographers have a certain pride in ownership of expensive, rare and pretty things, or the Ultimate View Camera. The following ain't for them. *cringe* I hear the laughter already.

I have a few Printex cameras. They are downright ugly, lump-like 4x5 cameras that work very nicely. No movements are possible. It has a non-graflex ground-glass back. Focusing is done via a geared extending lens 'tube' (optionally coupled to a Kalart rangefinder) and they work best with 127mm to 135mm lenses, although one can add an extension for longer lenses, and I have modified one to take the super Biogon 3" (and cracked the body in the process. I suck at metal work.)

It is a light camera, hugely rugged, and I am being only somewhat facetious when I suggest that one can store a lens inside the camera body for schlepping it under high-liability traveling situations such as being stuffed in a saddlebag. Seriously.

Weather permitting, I'll make a picture of the latest with the RF and Zeiss Planar 135mm lens.

Now I imagine some of this group have laughed themselves to tears. Glad I could help out.

Okay. Off the couch! I'm out of here to assemble the brand new snow-blower. Honest, it uses no mules or livestock. (That was the OLD one.)

Photographing Prints

OK, I remember you briefly had a picture of one posted... I'm not laughing, but I do have a question: how much does a Printex weigh, with lens and RF?

Photographing Prints

I did a google on the Printex and came up with a picture about half way down this page:

http://www.phsc.ca/improv.html

Look a little heavy?

Photographing Prints

Wayne, turns out there's a better one here:

www.photo.net/bboard/big-image?bboard_upload_id=21571484

Sure looks like boat-anchor material, but let's see what JJ has to say, since he has some on hand.

Photographing Prints

What about the Fotoman 4x5 point and shoot?

Photographing Prints

Ted, the Fotoman is still vapor, and in any case isn't rangefinder-coupled.