Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting the Lake District and Scotland

Visiting the Lake District and Scotland

Hi - We're visiting the Lake District and Scotland next summer. Since we're bringing along my wife's 80-something parents, the pace needs to be relaxed - making it ideal for me to photograph actually (we've done this before). I'll be the dangerous Yank driving on the wrong side in a rental car.

Any advice? I'd like to spend 3-4 days at each, with a "home base" being a nice lodge or interesting hotel/B&B. What are the don't miss sites that aren't overly touristified?

Thanks!

The lake district in high summer is to be avoided. School Holidays through July and you can expect traffic jams at all the major lake distrcit towns. Infact, most people will tell you that the Lake District has been completely spoilt by the huge numbers of people visiting. It is beautiful though but mid summer is very very busy.

Lake district is really about serious walking and takes a lifetime to explore properly. There are a lot of lakes there because it rains a lot so make sure you have your brolly with you...

If it has to be high summer I would try somewhere else such as the Northumberland coast, from Newcastle upto Lindisfarne(Holy Island) taking in Alnwick and Bamburgh. Much less people and beautiful coastline with plenty of castles. In fact Northumberland has more castles than any other county in the UK. There's also Hadrians wall. Then its only a short hop upto Scotland / Edinburgh.

On the other hand, if you really want very touristy Tea Rooms then the lake district may be just your cup of tea!!!

This is exactly what I need to hear. It's the same as if a Brit were coming to Yosemite - all you see are the postcards and you rarely see the traffic jams... I'm trying at all costs to avoid the masses, but still don't want to end up in the armpit areas of Britain.

Where exactly are those quaint little white washed farm villages we see on PBS?

frank

rob is right, lake district is a real nightmare during the tourist season, my "parents" have lived there in ambliside for the last 25 years and recently sold up and moved because they had had enough... so, assuming you are going "in season" if you want this from someone with experience (i lived 15 years in scotland to boot), i'd say skip the lakes and go directly up north.

arrange yor flights directly to glasgow or edinburgh and pick up your car there, from there go directly up to the north west coast and plan to start a trip northwards starting from say fort william, stick the the west coast road, you can not go wrong, and if you get blessed with good weather you will not want to go home!

you can arrange it all here:

http://www.visithighlands.com/

adrian

I agree with the above. One thing thoughwatch out for the Scottish Midges get some good insect repellant otherwise they will drive you crazy!

Change your schedule so in mid-May you can go to the Lake District rather than Italy. By then, the weather will be turning nice but the crowds haven't arrived yet. I can't recommend anything about Scotland, as I've never been there (but I understand that Summer will be on a Tuesday this year). Northern Italy is nice any time of year.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

"but I understand that Summer will be on a Tuesday this year"

Thats only on leap years when 29th Feb falls on a Tuesday!

for miges (serious problem in august)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00097DZ8S/qid=1133112062/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0180164-7803356?v=glance&s=hpc&n=507846

Avoid those touristy places. Ask the B&B managers if they have relatives working a family farm out in the rural areas. When I do this, I make friends at local pubs near fishing villages. Buy a pint for the guy who looks like he's been working his tail off all day. Sing loud, and bad, when the music starts. Rural pubs are very social places and you're expected to converse. If you're having fun, they're on your side.

I did this in rural Ireland and had a great time away from the other ugly Americans. You'd be surprised what's hidden away from the crowds.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Hi Frank

Re: summer

We have it on good authority that summer will actually fall on Tuesday at 2.00pm and will last for precisely for 1 hour 37 minutes. It will be followed immeadiately by winter (Scotland doesn't have Autumn (Fall)...the sun fails to appear and the leaves simply fly off the trees in protest)

On a slightly more serious note Scotland is brilliant at any time of the year (yep I live there), with the changeable weather only adding to it's character. When the sun does shine it can get quite hot but we do not suffer the humidity that can affect the south. You can experience all four seasons in an hour, let alone a day. I have sunbathed in 80 degree sunshine and got stuck in 4 foot snow with accompanying blizzards on the same July afternoon.

Edinburgh is a must...the city centre is simply stunning. All my US friends have fallen in love with the city. See the "Old Town" (mostly old), the "New Town" (still 200-300 years old), The Royal Mile with the castle at one end and Holyrood Palace at the other. For those who are interested the ex royal yacht "Britannia" is moored in Leith. Try to avoid in August when the world's largest arts festival takes place in the city and the population nearly doubles.

As far as touring is concerned don't ignore the Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. There is a lot to see in a more gentle way than further North. Heading upwards from Edinburgh you could either take the route through Fife, visiting the old (and very quaint) fishing villages of Pittenweem and Anstruther as well as St Andrews of golf, university and Prince something or other fame. Onwards into the Grampian mountains past the royal castles at Glamis and Balmoral.

The more westerly route will take you into the somewhat more rugged scenery of the Western Highlands. Most folk like to take in Loch Lomand or the Trossachs then head further to Oban and the islands, including Skye which for me is another must, or through the stunningly beautiful scenery of Rannoch Moor and Glencoe to Fort William. From Fort William you can take in the rest of the Western and Northern mountains including our highest - Ben Nevis. The hills of Wester Ross and coastal scenery simply have to be experienced.

If you do decide to take a look at Northumberland en-route IMHO it is best to avoid the coastal villages such as Bamburgh during the height of summer as they are mobbed with tourists (I speak as someone with a number of friends who live there and has spent a lot of time there over the years). However, as has already been stated it will be far less crowded than the Lake District.

Whatever area you decide to visit I am sure you, and your parents will enjoy it and will be made very welcome by the local inhabitants.

If you want any more ideas just drop me a mail...will be only too pleased to help in any way I can.

Martin