Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What camera to buy if you only had $100

What camera to buy if you only had $100

Okay, this IS a troll but, its a Saturday morning sittin' on the porch kind of question. Lets say life has dealt you a setback and you no longer had those fabulous XL lenses and all the geared movements and the digital spotmeter. Maybe you have some beat up Lunapro that is still dependable. You still have the desire to shoot, to take pictures. You can't just sit around metering the hell out of things can you? If you only had $100 that would you buy to get yourself back into the field?

Personally, I'd go twin lens.

Kevin

A Pinhole. Make it 8x10 since you wouldn't have an enlarger. Paper negatives souped in trays. You'll still have enough cash left over to take your Bride out to dinner!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A Yashica Mat is a good deal. So are old 2x3 Graphics and Pentax K1000s. But the pinhole gives you big film and a unique look for the money, so long as you don't photograph people.

The Chinese Seagull and some of the Russian 120 cameras are capable of good results, although QC is crapshoot.

Well the TLR is a good answer but this is a L/F forum. Sticking with L/F I would look for a Calumet 400 series. I bought a long rail model for $62. a while back. That leaves $38. for a lens. Good thing I already had some film holders. I once got a 1973 Crown Graphic w/135mm Schneider lens, case and 12 holders for $15. This was a government auction. Never see that again.

I have an old Voightlander Bessa with 105 Skopar that does 6x9. I got it for $10.00 at a yard sale and it still makes marvelous pictures. I take it out with me along with my 5x7 to shoot grab shots. For a long time, I shot 4x5 with an old Speed Graphic that set me back $75.00. I still have it, but I rarely (not in six or seven years) shoot 4x5 anymore, and if I did, I have a 4x5 back for the 5x7.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Let's take a different tact: If we (or I) knew you had fallen into such an unfortunate situation, I think we could put together a 4x5 with lens from our spare parts and that $100 would easily cover postage.

Pinhole is always good. 8x10 might be a stretch but if you're a careful shopper it might work.

Geos

Pinhole 8x10 camera with deconvolution software to make the images razor.

Really, if all I had was $100 for a camera, I'd put the money in the bank, abandon photography and attempt a recovery. Perhaps I'd pick up some paper and find some sticks in the woods which I would burn to make charcoal pencils. Then I'd start drawing on the cheap.

Kevin,
    George is right about recovering your earning power before undertaking photography. And the cost of film will continue to keep you in the poor house for a long time. BUT if you really are hard up and still dedicated to making photos, and you ask the forum members nicely, I bet you'll find a lot of generous people here. Maybe you could send donors prints as a thank you?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

well, i'm glad guys like weston and stephen shore put photography first and "earning power" second! not that it's usually a wise choice, but some of the best things have come out of unwise choices.