Thread: Geared Tripod for ULF

Geared Tripod for ULF

My current tripod for use with 11x14 and larger is a Ries. Very nice to use in the field. In the studio there must be a better way. Many years ago I worked in a studio that specialized in shooting what was termed ad slicks for RCA. The images were of TV sets shot against a painted wall. The sets were shot on a 16x20 Deardorff with an 8x10 reducing back. We used a pin system to double expose a Kodalith mask for double exposing simulated images on the screen. Essential to the use of such a camera was the studio support. The cameras were on a stand with two large supporting rails that held a very large wooden bed where the camera would be bolted down. The support system was called a “dog house” although I have no idea why. The same type of stand is in use by Timothy Greenfield Sanders supporting an 11x14.

There were times when the studio11x4 Deardorff went on location. The tripod used was a Davis & Sanford. That was one amazing tripod. So now in this day what are the options available? I need a tripod that has a geared center column and can support 25-35 pounds. The tripod can be new or used. Any suggestions?

-Bruce

Geared Tripod for ULF

You can still get a Davis and Sanford tripod. I think you see them more in the movie industry, but B&H carries them.

Majestic also comes to mind. I had one for a while, and it had a rapid column inside a geared column, as well as a set of extension legs, so it went higher than I ever needed. The geared column has a safety lock, so it won't slip even with a really big camera.

Geared Tripod for ULF

Thanks David. I was thinking as Majestic as well. Are they still made? I have seen the Davis & Sanford available for video camera use. Should work fine for ULF. Do you currently use any large geared tirpods?

-Bruce

Geared Tripod for ULF

The Majestic is still made--www.bencher.com. The one I had came with a camera I bought, but it was much larger than I needed, so I sold it. It was a nice tripod, and I think the previous owner was likely an architectural photographer who could have used it with a tall ladder for shooting over cars or getting a better vantage point for short and medium sized buildings.

I use a Bogen 3233, which has a geared column, and it's been pretty good for me with either a Gitzo G1570M or Majestic head, but if you've got a 25 lb. camera, you might want to go up one size. The 3233/3033 is the smallest Bogen legset with a geared column. My 11x14" camera is an old American Optical, and it only weighs about 15 lbs., and I'm thinking maybe I need to move to something a little bigger too.

Geared Tripod for ULF

I have a Gitzo G1548 that weighs 3 kilos but can take a load of 15 Kgs (33 lbs). It's rock steady with a heavy 10x8 camera at full bellows extension. I didn't go for the geared column option, but there is one available. I use it with their G1570 low profile head, but you might want to look at something else as this is only intended to carry a 10 Kg (22 lb) load. It's made of carbon fibre with nice chunky legs, about 2 inches wide. It folds down to 23 inches, has a maximum height of 59" (minimum of 6"). You can adjust the splay angle of each leg individually.

Geared Tripod for ULF

Have a look around for a either a Bogen 3058 or a 3258 (the only difference is that the 3258 is black and the 3058 is chrome). It's enormous and rated for a load of up to 44lbs. It also extends to over 100 inches! However, it's a heavy beast (especially when you are lugging it around with the obligatory ladder). Here's a link: http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=3&itemid=246

I picked mine up second hand with a head for around $200.

Geared Tripod for ULF

You might want to consider the Quick-Set products. I think their "Samson" line would probably do the job, if not, the "Hercules" family would be way more than just adequate.. Both show up pretty regularly on eBay.

If I had a studio, I would be hoping to find a suitable stand rather than a tripod.

Geared Tripod for ULF

I use a Gitzo G526 for both an 8x20 and 11x14. Don't use the geared head much but when I do it works very well. Many cathedral type shots run 3-5 hour exposures and the tripod has always done it's job.

Geared Tripod for ULF

On the used market, and old Lihnof comes to my mind. They're huge and have about 2.5" center column with geared rise, and a large platform. Very sturdy. I've seen them at swap meets for reasonable prices.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Geared Tripod for ULF

There's also the Gandolfi "Major Tripod". I have an ancient Gandolfi tripod, and if the new ones are as good they're great!