Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selfconfusion by a future LF photographer

Selfconfusion by a future LF photographer

Hello,

I would like in the near future (let's say next year) to try the LF photography. I have some experince with 35mm format and digital cameras and I would classify myslef as amateur with some reasonable technical knowledge, but not too much practical experience. If you ask why I want to try LF - here is my answer: The movements. If you say that I should practice the basics on 35mm - yes - I do that. Anyhow I am not going to replace 35mm with LF.

So, what I am after and why am I wasting you time with such a long thread (at least I suppose it will be long)

My main interest was (and is)landscape photography, but after I got through the book Thw View Camera by Steve Simmons (thank you, Steve, many things are much clearer to me now) I think that I would like to try also some studio shots (don't you call it tbaletop photography), a bit of macro photography and maybe some architecture.

Before I will go into details, I want to mention that as for many other pedestrians, my budget will be limited. I am not saying how much as the gear will grow slowly in time, but I just can not afford something like Ebony Ti45 or so (although I would like to). Anyhow I would rather buy one lens more or better tripod than having more expensive camera.

I would definitely like the camera (4x5) to be rather small and light, as I would like to take it along for longer trips (a few days). According to my fawourite lenses in the small format (24 - 135) - I would like to be able to use the camera with lenses 75 - 300 (non tele), although I would probably start with something around 150.

I have looked around this forum and got a feeling that Tachihara 45 would be a good solution. But I also ralised that I would like to be able to use the camera also with a roll film back (6x9 or even 6x12) and here comes my first question. The opinions about using the Tachihara with different roll film backs varies a lot. Some people say - " no Graflock back , only the holders like Calumet C2N will fit:, another say that although the Tachihare has spring loaded back it can go far wnough to acomodate for example the Horsmann film back. So..

1) What is your experinece with Tachihara and rollfim backs and what are the possibilities (price and wight wise)

2) Another point - would you witk you experience advice me to go for other camera (though probably not monorail)?

Please keep in mind one important point. Whatever camera I will choose, I will not have a possibility to try in in person before I will buy it, I am located in Germany (near Frankfurt) and till today I do not know anyone shooting LF (partially thanks to my not very good german)

I would be maybe even considering 2x3 camera, but the price is the same, weight also and if I want - I can not make nice big 4x5 chrome.

If you thing that my problem is that I take it too "technicaly" - you are probably right, but I am trying to fill the gap till I will get the camera (and the weather is so awfull outside now) getting as much informed as it gets.

I will be gratefull for any comment or advice. Sorry for being so long.

MAtus..
    Matus

I can't help with your questions about the Tachihara, but can tell you that a Canham DLC would fulfill the requirements you listed. It folds small, weighs under 5lbs, will take rollfilm backs with ease, and the standard bellows will accept lenses from 300 mm down to 65mm with all the movements the lens coverage will allow. Some will say that it doesn't lock down as tight as they'd like, but used with care I've found it to be sufficiently stable.

As to your budget, you're on your own. A used camera in excellent condition will be more than the Tachi, but 1/2 that of an Ebony.

You're not restricted to Tachihara, the advice to look at the used market is a good one, you may be able to find some bargains out there...yesterday I saw a Canham DLC on Ebay Germany, the price was still low...

You might consider a Shen Hao too, imho is better than the Tachihara (more movements, interchangable bellows and more bellows extensions, Graflock back...)...I tried a Tachihara for a week some years ago, beautiful camera but I found it not as rigid as I expected...then I ended up choosing a Gandolfi Variant, great great camera!!! )))))

Ciao
    Marco

..Marco..
    yes, I was already considering DLC (the price is still low), but this concrete piece that is now on the German ebay has quite a lot of bellows sag and I am wondering wheter it will not show up on the picture..
    Gandolfi Variant - hmmm... sounds good, enjoy !

.. Henry..
    yes, Shen hao is an candidate, it is just a bit on the heavy side.
    Matus

Scott Davis

You won't find the weight of the Shen Hao objectionable... it weighs just a bit over6 lbs (2.7kg). I have taken mine on day hikes in the California Sierras (elevations greater than 8000 feet) along with 12 filmholders, five lenses, and a tripod, and never noticed the extra weight. The extra weight is actually a plus, because it adds to the stability of the camera... it resists vibration better.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Matus;
    Since you are in Germany you should be able to find a Linhof Color you can handle and try. I know it's a monorail, but for the price it's a great little camera. It's not too heavy either, nor too big; I carry mine and six lenses in a small Lowepro S&F Rover Lite (and ten film holders, spotmeter, changing bag, dark cloth, filters, cable release, extra film, etc...)

Lenses from 90 to 355mm are no problem, 75mm can be used with a recessed board. Maximum extension is 42cm.

You should be able to find one for about 200 Euro, so you can spend the rest of your money on lenses!

I sold my Fuji GW690 because compared to 4x5" I found the format too small. Also I realised that I use my Fuji almost exclusively on tripod. Timewise, it takes the same amount of time to setup a 6x9cm and 4x5" camera. Therefore, I never considered to buy a roll film back.

Where do you come from? If you are from Slovakia (just a wild guess based on your name), I can make for you a small presentation of my LF gear.

I wouldnt buy a 2x3 camera because the film is too small and the price is the same. I wouldnt buy a monorail because I walk a lot with my camera. Technical parameters of newer cameras are good enough for any begginer. I have a Wista 4x5 DX3. I am more concerned about being able to do a 3 degree front tilt and lock the front standard safely than about making a 25 degree front tilt. Any camera that can do 15 degree front/rear tilt/swing and 25-35 mm front rise is good enough, especially, for landscape photography. For landscape any 135, 150 or 180mm lens will be a good starting point.

Martin / www.martindrozda.com

You should consider how you're going to print your LF negatives. If you plan to scan them, and print them digitally (as more and more LF users are doing), then you can make all your Correction Movements with PhotoShop (or similar programs), and don't need t0 go to LF at all.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

.. Scott ..
    concerning the shen hao I am a little bit confused. Different users quote different weight and also different lenght of the bellows. This is probably because of different models on the makret ove the last few years.
    -----
    .. Ole ..
    Up to now I do not consider seriusly monorails. Mostly because of the weight and bulk (though there are some exeptions)
    -----

.. Martin
    Yes - I do come from Slovakia, from Zvolen. It would be very nice from you if you would introduce me a little bit in the LF. May I drop you an email so we could discuss about it?

-----
    .. Bill ..
    Well yes - up to some point, but LF somehow attracts me. Digital is great for many things, but after I have seen some of my Velvia chromes I want to try it in LF.
    Matus

Matus, I would encourage you to certainly 'try' the format. That is exactly what I did about 3-4 years ago. I bought a used Tachihara 4 x 5 for less than $500 a used caltar 180 for a couple hundred bucks, tripod release and a readyload holder and I was ready to go.

I have never looked back....once you see a 4 x 5 transparency, on the light table, or scanned to a 30x 40 print, WOW.....also, the whole process of shooting 4 x 5 has made me a much better photographer. Slows you down, you spend more time behind the glass, etc.

Yes, the tachihara is not the last word on stability, but it never caused me any trouble with images, ever.

Are you perhaps more 'comfortable" with a more stable feeling camera? Sure, probably. But the I produced just as good or better images with my Tach than I have with my ARCA.

Tighten the camera down, load the film and pause a few seconds to let the camera settle, no big deal.

If you don't like the format, you can sell the stuff for basically what you paid for it. Very little risk.

Good luck and enjoy.