Thread: Mixing different types and brands of filters

Mixing different types and brands of filters

Hi All,

I have a really basic question. I own quite a few B+W filters, and would like to know if it is possible to use GND filters (100mm lee or singh ray filters in lee or Cokin P holders) in conjunction with my threaded, circular B+W filters. For example, if I want to take a photo with an 81-series B+W filter AND a GND filter, is there a way that this is possible without degrading the image quality? If so, what accessories would I need to make this possible?

Thanks for your help.
    Casey

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Casey,
    In my motion picture work, I've had as many as 9 filters in front and behind the lens. 6 were colored grads and the rest diffusion and color correction. I was using a 6 stage matte box with filters double stacked in each stage for 4 stages, and I forgot a flashing tool took 2 more stages. On another shoot it was all grads, color correction, and a stocking BTL. For stills work, there aren't, to my knowledge, that many tools that will allow you to stack that much glass. I've been mulling different solutions to that end. Some old Arri 6.6x6.6 matte boxes that could be adapted to my Sinar monoral is one thought that I'm going with. One of the major considerations to think about is the bounce back of the image. To get rid of it the filters have to be positioned significantly off parallel to each other in alternating directions. I hope this makes sense. BTW, Sachtler makes a quick release plate for their tripod heads that works really well and is one of the standards of the MP industry. They also make smaller plates for smaller heads. I'm looking for a video 18 for my 8x10 right now.

Kind Regards,
    MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Mark, at least one of your filters in the combination was a softening unit, so it seems that your case might not apply to the OP's question; it appears that he wants to know if the combination would hurt image quality.

It seems unlikely that the two-filter combination you mentioned would hurt, but you might look for earlier threads that mention coated filters and their effect upon sharpness (or lack of it.)

Or try it out! Couldn't hoit!

Assuming of course that your current circular filters have front threads, you can certainly attach the circular filter to the lens, then attach a Lee adapter ring to the circular filter, then a Lee filter holder to the adapter ring. This would allow use of a Lee ND grad filter (or any other Lee filter) with your existing circular filters. The only concern would be vignetting, and that would depend on the size and type of lenses you are using.

An exception is a polarizing filter, which I understand should ideally be placed in front of any other filters (I've forgotten the reason for this, hopefully another forum member can enlighten us). Placing a polarizer behind the lens is not optimal either, as it may cause spherical aberration (particularly with wide angle lenses). Assuming you are using 4x5 or smaller, Lee makes an adapter which allows a circular polarizer to be placed in front of the 4x4/4x6" filters, so that a polarizer and ND grad can be used simultaneously. However, this configuration will vignette with wide-angle lenses.

Hello Casey,

I'm so far working on getting into the LF league (finishing the preparations of my camera), but in the medium format world with a Pentax 6x7, I've succesfully used a combination of a circular threaded filter and a Cokin graduates. For simplicity (and my main usage of a 55mm wide angle lens, where a Cokin holder may vignete), I always had a polarizer screwed to the lens and then screwed the Cokin adapter onto this one. Yes, it is then more difficult to coordinate the placement of the grad separation and the correct rotation of the polarizer, but it's only a matter of preparing the shot for some more time (which I deem in LF shooting is an issue of it's own).

To answer your question what you'd need: (described on a Cokin P system, I think it'll not be different for a Lee system):
    * an adapter ring with the thread diameter appropriate for your lens. More lenses with different diameters mean more adapter rings (but they are the only thing that changes)
    * the filter holder
    * the filter itself
    * preferably also a compedium shade, but this is not strictly necessary

(if you want, have a look here, a polarizer and a 1stop GND was used)

Jiri Vasina
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Scott Davis

if you only need to use one additional gel filter after your screw-in filter, Lee makes a gel filter holder that takes a single filter, but attaches to the lens via a rubber band. This is a great way to solve your problem, since it will let you rotate any GND filter to whatever angle you want without interfering with a polarizer or any other rotating filter.

Big Negs Rock!

Image quality is what the photographer wants to achieve. This can be sharp/soft focus, correct color rendition, color shifted, digital manipulation, or anything else the photographer can imagine. My post is about achieving the image the photographer desires and that whatever filters one uses, it's okay. I'm not sure what "correct" imaging is, if anyone knows, please post it.

Kind Regards,

MW

BTW you may visit my webite to see the technical articals I've written for the International Cinematographers Guild. My website is: www.markwoods.com

Hope this helps.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com