Thread: Kinesis backpack and tripod carrying stuff

Kinesis backpack and tripod carrying stuff

The prior thread about carrying a tripod caused me to remember that Kinesis makes some intelligent and well crafted backpacks and related carrying gear that would work well for some people. See <a href-"http://www.kinesisgear.com/">kinesisgear.com</a>. While their emphasis seems to be towards DSLR nature shooters, most of their products cross over. They have a custom sized backpack that looks ideal for many of the shooters using non-photo backpacks - plus their smaller cases make sense for holding lenses and accessories. And the tripod lashing system looks good.

I use a Kinesis ballhead cover over my Arca-Swiss B1 and it has prevented a lot of dings and dirt from ruining the head.

I tried their wasit belt system, but being a big vain guy I don't like belt systems that make my ass look bigger than it already is. Even if it is a well balanced and smart way to carry stuff, especially for day shooting when you throw the camera and tripod on your shoulder and just want to walk around with relative freedom - the belt system makes a lot of sense.

Their smaller horizontal cases are a match for the Gnass Gear cases and their ordering system actually works, and they keep stuff in stock. The quality of their gear is first rate, much nicer than the recent Lowe and Tenba stuff I've tried.

No, I'm not related to Richard Strum, the owner, but I know he is a good guy.

I got to the link and clicked on the babe and nothing happened. What's all that crap all around her about?

If you use a Mac her clothes disappear when you mouse over...

...proving, I guess, that a Mac is superior.

My girlfriend a I both use Kinesis belts when shooting outdoors. They are really first rate, and great for quick setup when a sudden opportunity appears. Stum's service both before and after the sale is wonderful. What I like so much is the easy way to customize it, and there is still room on your back for a tent, etc., or other photo gear, or both. I never noticed themn causing any illusion of largeness around the hips. They are black, you know.

We almost always wear our belts with the buckles facing behind for quicker access to our camera stuff.

The benefits of the Kinesis system are these: Excellent protection from impacts and weather; easy access while still on your feet; probably near-ideal weight distribution; you can still take a backpack containing whatever; seemingly won't wear out; customizable; great when surprise opportunities arise and you have to move fast.

Drawbacks: Not cheap; you have to spend some time planning what to buy and learning how it all works; maybe more natural for smaller film formats, because 5x7 and 8x10 cameras would probably have to go into a backpack---which may defeat the feature of being able to set up your shot without setting anything down.

I think his writeup of comparing his stuff to his competitors is worth reading and fair.

Just a satisfied user.