Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtek i800..

Microtek i800..

http://www.microtekusa.com/smi800.html

Is this one supposedly improved over the i900? (Model nos. never make any sense to me!)

With digital ICE, for $399. Is it going to blow the 4990 out of the water?

I know it's still brand new, but any impressions?

Dave

Microtek i800..

I was about to post a similar question. Also, how does the i800 handle film larger than 4x5. Does it lay on a glass tray as (I think) it does with the i900?

Microtek i800..

I just ordered one of these because I heard the film holder was so superior to anything else out there. It is cheap at $349 from B&H.

HOWEVER, I found out yesterday it does NOT have a media drawer like the 1800 so scans through the top glass I suspect I will be sending it back.

IMO the Epson 4990 Pro is probably going to be the way to go...
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Microtek i800..

That's funny Jack, it looked to me from the photo to have a drawer, which I assumed the holders went in.

Why do you think the Epson would be a better buy, at nearly $100 more?

Dave

Microtek i800..

We had a quick look at the i800 during our last scanning workshop a week + ago and from that it looked like, based on the film holders alone that it could be a major leap forward over the 4990 and perhaps even the i900. Unfortunately we did not have time to really put it through its paces but an evaluation unit is on its way to me now for a shakedown.

Correct, it does not have a media drrawer but I believe it will still outperform the 4990 although the tests will tell.

As we have said many times in this price range the differences between scanner A and scanner B are going to be small. They all use basically the same sensors and the differences are going to be in things like film holders and the quality of the supplied software.

Microtek i800..

>>Why do you think the Epson would be a better buy, at nearly $100 more?>>

Fair question... Right after I ordered mine, my local store got an i800 in. In a comparison scan of a 35mm MOUNTED slide, the 4990 scan was clearly superior from a resolution standpoint. The i800 however showed slightly better D-max -- I'd guess about 3 points worth.

HoweverBut, I did not do the scan and do not know how much time was spent learning the i800 software prior to the slide scan, while the 4990/Silverfast package is well-known in this particular store. I can say the i800 film holder for 4x5 and MF looks superb, as it kind of pulls the sides as it locks down. One of the problems I had with my 3200 was Newton rings because the holder was junk -- this i800 holder should elminate that problem.

I will have it early next week, can test it and report back. If it doesn't cut it, I will return it. I am hoping it was an improper focus setting for the mounted tranny or a calibration issue.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Microtek i800..

Will it accomodate 8x10? It looks like the transparency scan area is 8.5 x 12, but 8x10 isn't listed as a format it will work with. Can you just slap an 8x10 on there and scan it?

Microtek i800..

AFAIK, it will accept an 8x10 but there is no holder -- instead the tranny or neg rests on a sheet of clear film, like thick OHT film, that is supposedly anti-newton?
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Microtek i800..

Jack,

Have you pesonally tried the larger negative scanning area? Is the clear surface rigid or a flexible sheet? I'm very interested in details because I'm considering this scanner. For my purposes, it must be able to scan 8x10 without difficulties.

Microtek i800..

The i800 is supposed to be an advancement over the i700 and is placed below the i900 optics wise from what I've been told based on its price point. It is not an Artixscan 1800f by any means but it's roughly 1/3rd of the price so it should be very competitive. The main thing that it lacks besides optics is the glassless scanning of slides and negatives. With that being said when I've used it the prints look fantastic. If need be I can post some up in the next week or two. I think it's a progression of scanning technology and should be considered if you're looking for a nice home office scanner against the 4990.

Jeremy