Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ries or new Berlebach tripod?

Old Ries or new Berlebach tripod?

The Tiltall is a fine tripod for 35mm and some medium-format applications. I don't think it's strong enough for any but the lightest 4x5 cameras, though. My 4x5, which must run 8-9 pounds with a lens, feels overloaded on the Tiltall. An 8x10 on that little round platform would make me nervous. It's worth noting, though, that Tiltalls are still in production and available new at B&H, for about the same price as noted above for used examples.

If your Tiltall is shaky or wiggly its probably the fiberboard sleeves inside the tubes either worn out or missing. I used mine some with a 4x5 monorail and as long as I kept the camera's weight centered it was OK. Tiltalls weigh about 6 pounds with head. Otherwise how about a old metal Gitzo? I see them on eBay fairly often.

"I inherited my grandfather's Tiltall and found it to be very flimsy. "

Tiltall, the most over rated tripod in history. I bought one back in the late 60's. It was the thing to have. I used it on a Mamiya C330. I could never figure out why people valued these things so much. Mine was nicknamed The Guillotine. If you ever had one you know why. If you don't have scars on your fingers you weren't there.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A coupole more thoughts. While I have never owned or used a Wehman 8x10 it is about the same weight as a Phillips Compact II and much lighter than a Wista double extension 8x10 ... I have lugged both of these around.

A Reis J600 with J250 head handles both of them with ease but, as mentioned above, this is not a combination that is likely to get you much under 10 pounds. My solution of choice is the Linhof 3414 with a Acratech ball head. Rock solid sturdy combination. I happen to like the Linhof leg design way more than the Gitzo or Bogen designs. I haven't weighed the combo but it is definitely well under 10 pounds. The stated weight is 5.6 pounds and add another pound or so for the head.

The Tiltall was my first. It can from Altman Camera in Chicago about 1966. The aluminum was not anodised and my hands would get filthy dirty no matter how often I cleaned it. Later models were satin finished and better.

It was and is a very steady `pod currently used by my son. 40 years old next year. The `pod, not my son. It cost $65.

I was told they were home made in a garage shop in New Jersey. The Star D is a Japanese knock off.

Ronald's comment reminds me that I got a Start D from Altman's in '68, possibly a bit later and only last year gave it away. Did not know it was a rip-off.

The camera attachment to the head is often the weak spot on otherwise OK tripods like the Tiltall. You could put an Arca Swiss clamp on the head and drive some screws through the tripod mounting plate into the clamp to really nail them together. Then you would never have to worry about the camera torquing off.

Current Tiltalls (made in China), do not appear to be nearly as rugged and stable as the earlier ones, which were made by Leitz in the '70s. I didn't suggest the Tiltall as your one and only tripod, obviously there are times when your big Bogen would be necessary. But in the "affordable and under 10#" category, I don't know of anything else. Like Ted I really like the Linhofs (I have 4), but I can't visualize using a ball head on an 8x10 camera, and pound for pound they're no match for the Tiltall. Come to think of it, the problem with supporting an 8x10 may be the head, not the legs.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A Leitz or Marchioni Tiltall in good condition can handle a 4x5" just fine, and maybe I'd use it occasionally with my ultralight Gowland 8x10" with a compact wide to normal lens, but in general, I wouldn't recommend one for use with an 8x10" camera.

That reminds me- in 1981 I put my Ansco 8x10 on my Star-D (it was the only tripod available to me at the time). It kinda worked, until it broke; the plastic leg-locks failed. Luckily I found a battered Majestic for free, 18 lb. of tripod sure supported that 8x10.