Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI vuescan and canon 9950F

FYI vuescan and canon 9950F

FYI

The review at :

www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Canon_9950F/page_14.htm

suggests a problem with vuescan and the canon 9950F.

I just emailed Ed Hamrick and he tells me that this problem is not yet fixed so be warned if thats a combination you are considering...

Wonder if it is only some models, or if it is related to color? I can 4x5 Tmax and even at 4x in photoshop, where everything is big square pixels, I do not see this.

Reading more of the review, it seems that the Canon has a lot less noise than the Epson. Might explain why I do not seem to be seeing the noise that Kirk complains about.

I read the review some time ago and based primarily on the medium format film holders but also the apparent lower noise I would probably have gone for the canon over the epson. However, in the absence of any real comparative testing which is becoming available for the epson then at least with the epson I would know what I was getting.

Then enter the microtek and there is a three way choice. Medium format is important for me hence my reticence to go with the microtek but it may be a better option. I don't know.

When you and paul get your testing done I will be keen to hear the results as I am with Kirks comaparative testing of the epson and microtek.

The one test I would like to see is the canon (and epson) scanned without interpolation compared to the microtek scanned with interpolation to the same dpi as the canon (and epson).
    I assume the microtek is 1800 dpi non interploated and the canon and epson are 4800 dpi non interpolated (until hear proof otherwise). If the microtek wins that one then I will go the microtek route. I suspect it will.

If you want to do medium format, then none of these is the right answer - you should get a medium format film scanner. It will beat all of these in resolution and dmax and be much less of a pain to use. Our problem is that no one makes a 4x5 film scanner anymore. See the Microtek ArtixScan 120tf at about $1500.

Ed,

based on your answer then none of them are right for you either. You should have a drum scanner.

I have my reasons for wanting a flatbed.

Incidentally Epson make a 4x5 dedicated film scanner: F3200

Was the Epson F3200 ever released in the US? The Epson site does not list it, and none of the usual online venders seems to have it. I have been very interested in it since it was announced, but it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

its listed on the epson.co.uk site and there is a review of it at i-photo where the canon review was.

I wouldn't get too excited as it seems to perform only fractionally better than a 4870 so probably no better than a 4990 and it doesn't have ICE if you are into colour.

> You should have a drum scanner.

Since this is not my day job, the extra work and hassle and expense of the drum scanner would cut too far into my working time and I am not sure I would get many pictures taken. The flatbeds are a compromise between quality and cost and ease of use.

exactly!

and I want to be able to scan 4x5 as well as medium format.