Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graduated ND filter quality

Graduated ND filter quality

I already own some ND graduated filters, but anyone have any opinion of quality differences between Lee and the other brands? I think mine are resin. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the optical quality comparisons.

I use Singh-Ray GSND filters (which are resin) and have nothing but good things to say about them both in terms of optical quality and neutrality. Lee filters are reputed to be excellent also.

Big Negs Rock!

All of my filters are glass Tiffen filters. I use them way too much to use resin filters, which I have a few Cokin filters for my 35mm still camera. The only thing I can say about the NDs and ND Grads is if color rendition is important, check the color temperature through the filter. Some filters will shift "warmer" (to the red orange part of the spectrum or lower color temperature). Most of the time this isn't a problem, but it can be be. BTW, about 3/4 of my filters are 6.6"x6.6". I've yet to figure out how to put them on the front of the 8x10 with the technology they work with. The others are Series 9 and 5.5" round. Those are easier, but the grads are all square.

Kind Regards,

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I like Singh Ray as well and they are very nice people. They'll make anything you want. 1 800 486 5501

Once there was some confusion on an order and I got the wrong size filter. They made it right ... no problem.

Mark Woods,

Some time ago I talked to SK Grimes about machining a single slot press-on filter holder for 6.6x6.6" filters, as I use such a polarizing filter for my SS210XL. It was a bit pricey (I don' t recall the quote anymore), but if I used a variety of filters I would have considered it. As things currently stand, I tape my polarizer to the front of my SS210XL. Obviously tape won't work for an ND grad.

I use the lee system and like it very much. I used a peice of white tubing with the fuzzy side of velcro inside and it was just right for my 24"red dot. I ground the threads off a series nine filter adapter, and glued it on the end. WaLa. Now I will make some for the other barrel lenses. I have been leaning a lot lately towards graduated NDs rather than color filters for B&W.

Big Negs Rock!

Eric, thank you for the infor. I hadn't thought about that approach. I'm thinking of something that would attach to the monorail of the camera that could be used with all the lenses. You've got my wheels turning!

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Hi Mark

Can you give me a source for these 6.6" glass filters. I need a ND 2 filter this size for a 150mm lens I wish to try for landscapes. You people are a daily source of inspiration.

Thanks

Richard

I'd also be curious about additional sources for 6x6" filters. In the past I've used B&H and Birns & Sawyer (www.birnsandsawyer.com/cgibin/BIRstore.cgi).

Lee will also cut custom sized resin filters. If you are looking for an ND grad, then this might not be a bad way to go.

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Richard,

I'm not sure where you live, but if it's in So. Calif. Moletown on Highland, Arri (or one of the Arri owned companies) in Orlando, New York, Dallas, and Chicago. Some websites are:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_motion_picture_&_broadcast_television/

and

tiffen.com

The schneider filters are made with white water glass. I own Tiffen and was well down the road of owning filters before the Schneider filters were available. I believe the websites will give you local distributors, and possibly how to order of the net.

Good luck,

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com