Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMAX 100 in XTOL 1:1 Jobo Expert

TMAX 100 in XTOL 1:1 Jobo Expert

Hey. This should be another simple question that will get me several different answers, but I hope to make an educated judgment from your input. Since I have researched the forum pretty well, I understand there are varying opinions about the use of this combination of film, developer, diultion, etc.; for the time being, please advise if you have used this combination and what your times are. I am choosing to NOT trust Kodak's information since their times are radically different than mine for the similar scenario with Tri-X sheet film.

The film: Tmax 100 readyload (4x5 sheets)

Developer: Xtol 1:1 at 70 degrees

Tank: Jobo Expert 3010 on a rotary base

Thank you.

-Serge

see www.butzi.net/articles/tuning1.htm

You will need to adjust for temp difference, my times are for 68F.

Hi Paul, when can we expect part two? :-)

Amund
    Amund

Hi Paul, when can we expect part two? :-)

Well, originally I'd hoped I'd have the actual testing/research part done by mid summer.

Life, however, has a way of interfering. It's not just that there are personal commitments with a higher priority (like, for instance, my kids). It's that there's a frustratingly large amount of stuff backed up, including a couple hundred sheets of film that are sitting there, waiting to be developed/scanned/printed.

And this morning, when I went out to photograph, the day dawned with the valley full of wonderful fog drifting downstream, and a nice cloudbreak over the Cascades, and the sunrise was just awesome.

Given the lengthy list of things that have conspired to keep me out of the field, it just feels good to get out and make some photographs with the breeze in my face, and the fog wetting my jacket, and the sound of the river in the background.

So the testing will probably wait a while. Don't give up hope. The rainy season has begun here in the Specific Northwet, so I'll have ample indoor days in the near future.

Paul, great resource. Thank you and if I had a single extra red cent, I would make a voluntary donation. Maybe when this project I am working on is done, I will have that red cent. In the meantime, would it be safe to say that TMAX shot at 100 in XTOL 1:1 @ 70 would be appx. 8.2 minutes? I base that on your 75 for 6.8 minutes.

Best,
    Serge

Other direction - higher temps give shorter times, not longer.

I'll take a crack at estimating a time for you tomorrow AM. I'd do it now but I'm on the outside of about half a liter of a nice Badia a Coltibuono chianti and so I'm suffering from both a certain deficit of the higher mental faculties and a distinct diminution of the old motivation.

Tomorrow, though. For sure.

Dear Serge

For a Subject Brightness Range of 7 stop, your time should be 7:15.

"I'd do it now but I'm on the outside of about half a liter of a nice Badia a Coltibuono chianti and so I'm suffering from both a certain deficit of the higher mental faculties and a distinct diminution of the old motivation"

Paul:

I really wanted to see your estimate under those conditions.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

hey Paul; maybe the orange juice I was drinking last night was spiked or you were indeed as schnockered as indicated. Anyhow, I think my question still stands correct: the time I saw listed for developing TMAX 100 in Xtol 1:1 was for 75 degrees. So, if I process it at a LOWER temperature of 70 degrees then I would need to extend the time. Is there a time for 68 degrees (1:1) on your site already? I thought I researched it pretty carefully.

Thanks,
    Serge

Well, see? If nothing else, aren't you glad I didn't break out my notes and calculate a time last night?

Yes, you're right, of course. I have no excuse except that my eyes saw your '75' and my brain thought '68'.