Thread: 127mm ektar on 5x7

127mm ektar on 5x7

Will this work? Got a 127 ektar and a 5x7 b/j. Wondering if lens will work on 5x7, but afraid to take lens apart, as it seems connected to that shutter/cylinder thingy.

?

127mm ektar on 5x7

percy,

The 127 Ektar barely covers 4x5, but thats OK for press cameras shot handheld since movments aren't normally used(which is why speed graphics don't offer much n the way of moves in the first place.
    Will it work on a 5x7? Yes---it just won't cover the format. Wheter the image will just go to mush at 5" on out or go to mush at 5" then vignestte I have no idea. It would be interesting to find out though.
    Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

127mm ektar on 5x7

Hi there,

The 127/4.7 Ektar will just reach to the corners, almost. It has a very pronounced curved field distortion. It was made for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film, not recommended for 5x7 but it does have a look. Try it out and see if you like it.

Have fun with it

127mm ektar on 5x7

FWIW I didn't mean to pan the 127 Ektar as a lens---as a matter of fact its my choice for Crown Graphic duty----very sharp IMHO---but I feel that for anything larger than straight on aboard a 4x5 the 127 Ektar just inn't the right tool for the job (unless peripheral mush is your forte---in which case it might be what you want)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

127mm ektar on 5x7

Hi Percy,
    It doesn't cover 5x7, and the two that I have laying around are not sharp at the edges, at any aperture, on a 4x5. Center sharpness is good though. If you're shooting close-ups on a 5x7, perhaps it would work, but you're probably better off even with an older uncoated lens designed for 5x7 or more, if budget is the problem. Also, because it needs a special slip-on ring for filters ( no filter threads ), something usually needs to be rigged to adapt modern filters. More trouble that it is worth.