Thread: Digital projection of scanned LF

Digital projection of scanned LF

I am giving a slideshow soon. I have always projected 35mm slides in the past. But a digital projector is available for me to use.

Has anyone projected scanned LF using a digital projector? What software works well? Are there other considerations? Does one need powerpoint to put together the "show".

I have done allot of this lately, though probably less than brilliantly I am wondering if people get better results using an sRGB colorspace vs. Adobe 1998 like you do for the web?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well once it's a digital file you are only limited by software. The digital projectors I am familiar with can replicate what is seen on the computer screen. You can use the "clicker" as the mouse and move through any program you wish....it just displaying the computer screen elsewhere. So whatever works for you on the computer will be fine.

Powerpoint probably offers the most flexability if you want to include text "slides" as well.
    For something much easier you could download irfanview for free and setup a slide show of you digital files. If you wanted a few text slides in there you could just make them in photoshop.

Good luck.

To answer Kirk's question, you certainly want to use sRGB as your color space when projecting. Your images in Adobe RGB 1998 probably appeared desaturated or washed out. I preapre images for projection very similar to preparing images for web display. The only difference is the actual pixel dimensions which can be based on the capabilities of the digital projector.

Okay irfanview sounds good. Does it allow you to control when the image changes like a slideprojector? Colorspace sRGB. What about image size? Do you use jpeg or tiff?

Thanks for your help!

John,
    Irfanview in slideshow mode will use the full screen so you can use as high a resolution as you like. In the settings you can the slides shuffle after how ever many seconds you wish. Better yet, is to set it to mouse or keyboard click to move to the next slide. If you are close enough to the keyboard, you can just hit a key to get your next slide. If you are near the screen/wall, most digital projectors have a remote that acts as a mouse click......and that will advance to the next slide.

keep in mind, these projectors have very low resolution, which doesn't help the LF film, assuming that is your goal.....