Thread: Any Updates/Improvements on Microtek 1800?

Any Updates/Improvements on Microtek 1800?

The 1800 has been around for a while. Any newer technology (better quality machines) put forth by Microtek or any other company for that matter short of Mega $K scanners?

Thanks

I don't know about hi-end drum scanners, but I think the film (and larger transparency flatbed) scanner bubble ahs burst.

There isn't the same race to grab the consumer witht he best film scanner as there once was because a) most of them a pretty darned good for the price and b) a huge chunk of their former market has moved to digital.

in 35mm for example, you just aren't seeing new and better film scanners coming out every 8 months or so - and as a result I don't think the R&D dollars are being put into it anymore in the same way.

Good quality consumer/prosumer flatbeds also seem to be pretty much at that stage now too.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Makes perfect sense Tim. I kinda figured that but thought I'd ask just in case.

thanks

At the Photo Expo in NYC last month I asked the Mirotek people if a new model will be out soon to replace to 1800. My thought was that the 1800 has been around for a while and was getting stale in the marketplace. I was told that as far as they knew there is no replacement in the works because there have not been any major improvements in technology at that price point in the last three years.

That said, at Photo Expo last year someone from Microtek told me that Microtek doesn't tell much to the employees here in the US and that suggestions the US staff makes in response to customer suggestions and complaints are generally ignored.

People seem to love that new Epson 4990 and Epson seems to get new and better technology once a year or so.

Hi. I saw the output from the 1800 a few days ago. The images were those of a working commercial photographer, specializing in architecture. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Maybe it's because I shoot black and white. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to contact prints. But then, even enlargements of 6x6 negs look better to me (he was shooting 4x5). Dunno. I just think silver looks better.

In any event, I decided NOT to purchase one. Think I'll look a little bit longer for a 5x7 enlarger....and settle for a 4x5 if I don't find one.

I keep in touch with quite a few people from different companies and find it incredibly hard to believe what you heard Steven. Suggestions that are given from US to China or wherever must be taken into consideration if any company is to stay in business as market needs vary by location. As an FYI I've been to the same shows and spoke with Microtek. The representatives who go to shows in the US are primarily from the US. They mentioned that the i800 templates were in direct response to suggestions given to the overseas locations.