Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portraiture with 8x10

Portraiture with 8x10

I suggest to my models that it may take me up to 2 minutes before I can make an exposure after I find the pose I want to capture. Am I taking an unusually long time in my process? This would be outdoors, not in the studio, with the camera at least pointing in the right direction to begin with. I'm shooting with a 8x10 Deardorff. Maybe other 8x10 cameras are faster?

Portraiture with 8x10

Joel,

I don't think two minutes is very long in 8x10 time.---especially if any movements are used.

A handheld 4x5 Speed Graphic would certainly be faster to use at the expense of the bigger negative, but whats the rush?

More important, IMHO, are you and your model satisfied with your results? If so, you might keep doing whatever it is you're doing.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Portraiture with 8x10

Depends on the pose I think. If they can relax their bodies while holding position, then why not? But also, you should probably get faster because many people are skittish. Do your composition and have them "semi" relax, then get all set to shoot, check the most important focus point (eyes usually) and close/stop down the lens, pop the holder and hurry up!

A bail on the camera back, and a modern shutter with easier to see f/stops - and maybe a headlamp or flashlight so you can see the f/stop markings - all will help.

The old trick of using a measured strong to the subject's nose is also good.

Finally, try photographing a real actor or model - they are so much easier than civilians. Gives you some perspective.

Portraiture with 8x10

string not strong

Portraiture with 8x10

The string to the nose is really useful if you like very short DOF.

If the DOF is thin, but not razor thin, pay close attention to the nose shadow. If the subject isn't moving around too dramatically, I find that if I observe the nose shadow when focusing, then adjust the subject's head so the nose shadow is exactly the same, the eyes should be in focus.

Portraiture with 8x10

I don't know if faster is better. It might be fine that it takes some time to get ready. What if everyone just relaxed?

Scott Davis

Portraiture with 8x10

Your times for 8x10 sound very reasonable. I think I average about 5 mins per 4x5 shot (16 sheets per hour, give or take) when shooting the human figure in the landscape. Models who can't sit still once you tell them "Hold that pose" for the 30 seconds-1 minute it takes to close the shutter, cock the shutter, insert the film back, and withdraw the darkslide drive me nuts. I've even had pro or semi-pro models do it - they're used to working with motor-drive, auto-focus, 35mm or digital blasters who want them to keep moving all the time. I have a couple of models I work with regularly who can and do sit still long enough for 8x10 work.

Portraiture with 8x10

Hi Joel.

8x10 is not a rapid format, and if cycle time is important, I would choose a different one. That being said, I shoot a lot of young people and children, most of whom cannot be counted on to remain motionless, or even relatively so, for a minute or more, so I've learned to work faster when I want an 8x10 negative of these subjects. There is simply no substutute for practice, and when your motions become second nature, and your need to double and triple check your actions fades, your cycle time will improve. In the meantime, finding the right model will be crucial to your success rate. Good luck.

Jay

Portraiture with 8x10

I'll take a slightly different tack and say, yes, 2 minutes is too long to expect anyone but an art model to hold a pose. Either they will move, or the expression will change in a negative way. By adjusting technique and procedure, you should be able to get that down to 15-20 seconds for the mechanics and a few seconds more for regenerating the desired expression. Doing so takes practice, however.

For example, I try to get things essentially set - basic pose, basic focus, basic composition, loaded holder resting on top of the camera, etc. That way, when the magic moment (pose details and expression) arrives, I'm pretty close to being ready. In contrast to the ratta-tat-tat shooting style with smaller formats, however, I try to pre-plan poses and expressions when doing 8x10, discussing with the model what I'm after. That shifts the nature of the session into something more consistent with the requirements of the format.

Portraiture with 8x10

2 minutes is along time. I compose through the gg, then start slamming in the holders. I know what my dof is and work within it. Waiting too long, the models lose their liveliness. The pictures start to look posed. I waste some film, but get some real special ones.