Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Wehman

Opinions on Wehman

I need to retire my Bender 8x10. I would like a Wehman, but now the Wehman website says production run won't happen until March and I want to take advantage of cool weather now. Are there any alternatives to Wehman, comparable in price, performance and weight?

Opinions on Wehman

My friend just bought a single extension Tachihara for Midwest Photo and he is very happy with it..Evan Clarke

Opinions on Wehman

My 2 cents: there's nothing that compares in price, performance and weight... You could get a calumet c1 until you can get the wehman then re-sell the c1. I'd call Bruce Wehman to make sure that he doesn't have one on hand.... he sold me a old demo model. It's worth a try. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-IS-Orbit-8x10-metal-folding-camera-4x5-8x10-backs_W0QQitemZ7562341414QQcategoryZ15247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Opinions on Wehman

If you know what you really want, then it is almost certainly a mistake to buy something else. So I agree that you should get something only for the short term, to be replaced by your choice when it becomes available. And reserve your place in Bruce's waiting list asap.

For something new, a Tachihara or Shen-Hao would be my choice. A while back I had a nice little 4x5 Shen-Hao, it was a bargain. If you decide to go used, for something older, you will surely save some money. Beware the weight though; those C-1's, in particular, weigh a ton.

I'll be taking the Wehman out this weekend, assuming the weatherlady knows anything. That late autumn evening light is irresistable...

Opinions on Wehman

I agree with CXC; if you have your heart set on a Wehman, wait a bit longer for one. You will second guess yourself if don;t buy your 2d choice. Reserve what you want and either keep using your current outfit or buy something very inexpensive to tide you over. But remember, you usually get what you pay for. And the C-1 doesn't weight a ton; only 3/4 of a ton if you get a lightweight weight green one.

mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Opinions on Wehman

I'm in between 8x10 cameras right now and waiting patiently for Mr Wehman to finish this run. I have decided that a Wehman is what I want, so I'm going to have to wait patiently for it. March/April isn't that far off anyway.

Opinions on Wehman

I got my Wehman a few months ago, and I`ll have to say it`s worth waiting for :-)
    Amund

Opinions on Wehman

...or get a used deardorff to keep you busy until your Wehman is ready and sell the 'dorff at a profit. Unless of course you decide to keep the 'dorff ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Opinions on Wehman

The fact that Burce is running out of inventory is actually very good news - sorry not for those needing a camera immediately, but for the LF community at large. It just shows that there is still significant demand out there for quality, reasonably priced equipment. I own a Wehman and am very happy with it - the camera is a pleasure to use and I don't need to worry about backpacking with it - it can take a lot of beating (although I treat all my camera equipment with kid's gloves:-)
    I agree with the others here - better wait for your Wehman - you'll regret it if you don't.
    Juergen

Opinions on Wehman

Dear bruce

I was considering the Wehman myself a few month ago. It was in competition with Canham JMC810 and Philips Compact II.
    The Philips is very nice, but backorders are way too long...I ended up bying the JMC810, and I am very content with it.