Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music and the 8x10

Music and the 8x10

I took my brood to the Fresno State/Boise State game tonight, sat in the rain, drank beer and watched two good teams play a great football game. The marching band was very good too, and during the pregame show I had a thought I wanted to share with you.

Watching the sousaphone players (17 of them!) and the bass drum players (I lost count) strutting their stuff in the rain I thought to myself 'Why would anyone want to march around with such a big, heavy, and unwieldy instrument compared to the clarinets, trumpets, flutes, saxes and cymbals, trombones and field snares?

ThenI heard the music! Certainly the other instruments were sweet sounding, but the Sousaphones were powerhouses, and the bass drums were like thunder. Why would anyone want to mess with a big, heavy, unwieldy instrument? Because the results are worth it! The music was dynamic and agressive on account of those 'big guns' The musicians themselves practically danced across the gridiron (really) not staggering under the wieght of their instruments as one might expect. The burden was well worth the effort. The performance spoke with such energy it shook my fillings!

I kind of feel that way about 8x10s. I wonder how passionate other 8x10 shooters are about the format? I ask because I'm contemplating taking my 'dorff sking this year instead of the 5x7 Speed Graphic....why? Because the conveniece of a lighter hand held camera just dosen't seem to match the "sound" I'm looking for that the 8x10 delivers. I need a sousaphone or bass drum!

What are your opinions/ thoughts?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Music and the 8x10

As a trombone player since the age of 10, I guess I'm in the habit of carrying a big, unwieldy thing around.

Music and the 8x10

My piano is an ULF instrument. I can't carry it anywhere. But the results are worth it!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Music and the 8x10

if you play the big, heavy, unwieldy instrument that no one else wants to play, you can always get a gig.

makes a lot of sense for musicians. why was it again that photographers do it??

Music and the 8x10

John,

Sometimes, size does matter. Small camera (35mm) - small print. Try to print too large - image breaks down. Medium camera (120) - medium print. Prints get larger and sharper. But leaves you wanting more. Large camera (4x5) - large print - sharper still. You're there. Then you think - I could be sharper. Larger camera (5x7) - smaller print. Contact print. That's the ticket. Now that's sharp. Can 8x10 be far away?

BTW - I played the bassoon in junior high. Not well, but I loved the sound. A tuned elephant fart. Ah, but what a fart it was!

Music and the 8x10

Try a Hasselblad with an iPod.

Music and the 8x10

I'm a bass player and I own half a sound system and a pickup truck. Even if I couldn't play a lick I would always be able to get a gig.

Music and the 8x10

I'm sure a Sousaphone, even an all- brass one, doesn't weigh as much as my C-1 and Zone VI standard tripod. Musicians (and I'm a bass trombone player) are pikers.

juan

Photographer and Traveler

Music and the 8x10

Ahhhhhh, can contact printing from a 20x24 be far behind for you?

But I digress....many years ago (1979) I went to a well known photographer's workshop in Yosemite. Though access to that well known photographer was limited by your willingness to crash through the phalanx of groupies surrounding him, there were other photographers there who were more than happy to spend even lengthy times with attendees. One of those was Morley Baer. He set up his old, reasonably beat-up 8x10 at a typical Yosemite scene and allowed several of us small format (4x5) photographers to gaze at the ground glass. It was at that moment that I decided I would someday make my photographs with an 8x10. I've been through a Calumet (the green machine); a Deardorff; and now I use an Ebony. My backpack weighs 60-80 pounds depending upon how much water and film I carry (and whether I take the 600mm). I did finally adopt a graphite tripod.

There is nothing that compares to either the act of making a photograph on an 8x10, or seeing a large print that is almost indistiguishable from a contact.

I've never looked back.

Bob Younger
    Terra Nova Photography
    Bob Younger
    Terra Nova Photography

Music and the 8x10

Maybe that is the early beginnings of my LF bug...I played Alto Sax through High School, including the Marching Band. Now my project will be replacing my V8 bellows.
    BTW, I hope at least you enjoyed the game...being a BSU fan from Boise...I was truly disappointed....kinda like when the light leak is discovered on the 8x10 negative or the Quik-Load failed and you learned of its short coming AFTER the trip and having saved soooooo much carry weight by using the quick loads. Yes, 8x10 or even LF in general is like music! I just hate it when I hit that "sour" note!