Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WWW site tips and examples?

WWW site tips and examples?

Jorge,
    I think it is about selling their web design talents. I think. Part of the problem with Flash sites is that they distract from the subject. The subject becomes the Flash.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I thought that is what it was, since they have different projects......but then I clicked on "chipotle" since it is a Mexican pepper and it drew my curiosity and I had no idea what the site was about. While all the jumping Jack flash shows knowledge of programing......it is pretty much redundant if it leaves the visitor scratching his/her head...no?

One more thought: just do it. Building a website is not a final statement. The best websites change all the time.

Better to do a fast and simple one to get started and learn how to organize your images, than to sputter and plan some ultimate super site that never changes or worse, never starts. The exercise of building a small first site will teach you what you need to know to build the bigger super site...

I just purchased a domain and a five page site. It is pretty self explanatory as far as loading images. Now I just need to quit wrestling with the perfect artist statement and finish it. Frank is right if no one sees it then it doesn't matter how good or bad it is. I figure I'm just going to get something put together and publish it. Then I'll come to the forum and ask for advice. There is a wealth of knowledge here and seldom, if ever, have I been led astray when asking here. And if critques ever bothered me I would have given up photography long ago. So I will be asking all the Geeks ( I think that's what they like being called now) for advice on improvments. It's just that damn artist statement I can't seem to finish. Plus I need to learn how to stitch a photo together for loading my 8x20 work. The scanner I finally broke down and bought will only scan 8x10 but I think there is a way to do it in photoshop by scanning two halves of the 8x20. In other words....HELP!....lol

I hate to mention the obvious, but if you have to stitch an 8x10 why not just shoot two 8x10s instead?

I hate to mention the obvious, but if you have to stitch an 8x20 why not just shoot two 8x10s instead?

What seems obvious is the result of making the mistake of thinking that you have perfect knowledge to start with.

"There is a simple implication for web design of photo web sites. If the guy isnt able to design his web site well, then he isnt able to design his photos well."

Where does this concept come from? I don't know squat about about web design, but I'll wager I can out photograph most web designers.

Do you think photographers design their own books? There is an entire industry of book designers out there. Much commercial photography is "created" by someone other that the photographer. Why should it be significantly different for web design? There are legions of great designers out there, why should I learn web design?

Designer does not equal photographer or vice versa.

michael
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

"I hate to mention the obvious, but if you have to stitch an 8x20 why not shoot two 8x10s instead"....huh? Frank I have 8x20 contact print Pt/ pd work that I would like to put on my website. My scanner is only capable of scanning 8x10. Please clarify what you mean by your statement. Because I obviously don't see what you mean by the obvious. Shoot two 8x10s? I'm talking about scanning two halves of my 8x20 work to put on a web site. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry, I thought you were shooting 8x20 and scanning for digital output, which seems like a helluvalot of work. If making contact prints is your primary purpose then it all makes sense.

Depending on the size of your web image you may actually do better photographing your final prints with a digicam. Not only is it simple, but you would capture more of the texture and quality of the print itself. Considering that Pd/Pt contact printers are into that sort of thing, it might be a nice touch, especially if you show the deckled edges and slight paper curl, etc. with a subtle drop shadow.