Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New article: the 5x7 format

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: New article: the 5x7 format

Hmm, an older thread lives again....., but since others have commented, let me thank you, Luong, for your informative and inspiring article. I think partially due to that article and other recent info in ViewCamera magazine that I'm almost totally sold on 5x7 now.
    My move had been precipitated partially perhaps due to me already having a great Durst (3S) 5x7 anyway and partially because I had an Arca B 5x7 that I previously only had a reduction back and a Canham 6x17 back for (I had made a lightweight 6x17 adapter for it). Then, after reading your article I sourced film, converted an old Plaubel 5x7 back I had to fit the Arca (which took all of 20 minutes) and got some s/h holders and hangers.
    I now regularly trek with my 5x7, shooting b/w and colour, at only small weight penalty. Availability of film seems no big issue as it's comparatively easy to buy internationally and it is a pleasure working behind a 35 sq. inch ground glass......

Hi, is this the same 5X7 article that was posted some time ago? I read it and moved up and down to 5X7 after seeing it. It is an honest look at 5X7 and I think anyone considering the format should look at it. I think 5X7 is about perfect because you can contact print until you decide to enlarge. Even though obtaining a 5X7 enlarger is difficult. The enlarging lenses and the light source are available but the enlarger is a little more challenge. Great article, thanks.

tr

Scott Davis

I recently got a pre-owned Canham 5x7 wood field to take with me on a trip to Argentina. This was a fantastic experience, and many of the reasons for it have already been mentioned above. Most of my 4x5 lenses work just fine on 5x7. The 5x7 Canham fits in basically the same space as my Shen Hao 4x5 (the Shen Hao had room for my light meter in the same compartment, but the Canham fills the compartment), so I could use the same gear bag and fit it in the overhead bin as a carry-on. Another nice thing about the Canham wood field is that it can be adapted to take a 5x12 back. That's on my agenda for additions to the gear kit when I finally take my big trip to China.

Despite what some people are saying, there is a very wide variety of 5x7 black-and-white emulsions available within the US (even if not necessarily from the Big Two). I took some of the Freestyle Arista.EDU Ultra 200 with me to Argentina and it has overall been terrific. I did notice a tendency with it to attract fingerprints (probably caused by A: my having oily skin and B: using some older film holders that were prone to grabbing on to my film and not wanting to let go without a struggle). It is best shot at 100, I have found. I process in a Jobo CPA-2, with Pyrocat HD, 1:1:100 for 11 mins @ 72 F. This gives me a really nice negative for palladium prints.

5x7 has been my format for several years. I like the more rectangular proportions. Film is not a problem. There is plenty of FP4+ and Tri-X available. In the recent poll in this forum they were the most popular films and they are very good choices. They work well in staining and non-staining developers.

steve simmons

Your article did the most to convince me to go to 5x7. Only wish I had found it before I acquired all of the 4x5 enlargers, cameras and lenses. I will sell the enlargers. Cameras are forever

pj

Can someone tell me whether 5X7 filmholders are still being made?

Thanks

As far as anyone can tell the answer is no. However, there are still new ones in the pipeline. Fo that matter, although the owner of the company will neither confirm nor deny, it appears that Fidelity (the world's major holder supplier) is not making ANY new holders. They are still assembling new 4x5 holders from available parts and probably have enough parts for some 30,000 holders. It's difficult to tell but it doesn't seem to be the case with either 5x7 or 8x10 holders.

Having said all that there are other, smaller holder manufaturers, such as Toyo and there will soon be at least one new entry in the field, Fotoman.

Don't let the holder situation stop you ...

QT... A great help for someone like me getting back into large format. Thanks a bunch for all the information that is on the large format home page and also for maintaining this forum.

I have been looking at 5x7 and was hesitant because of film choices. What I learned reading this article about 13x18 film in Europe will probably push me this way.

Great info...

Bill

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I suspect Fuji may have stopped making 5x7 Astia (or Velvia)(?); Kodak 64 is around though. Also, is there any lab in Australia that develops 5x7 E-6 (well)?
    So for now, although I'm doing all of of my b/w in 5x7, I run the occasional colour shot in 4x5, or 6x17, but it'd be nice to work in 5x7 all up.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    I suspect Fuji may have stopped making 5x7 Astia (or Velvia)(?)...
    If you don't mind paying a price premium and importing your own film, Megaperls (http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/) lists Provia 100F, Velvia 100, Velvia 100F, and Velvia 50 in 5x7. They list Astia 100F only in 8x10.