Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IR Night Vision Goggles and Photo Paper

IR Night Vision Goggles and Photo Paper

Can InfraRed Night Vision Goggles be used while developing typical enlarging paper or contact-printing paper ?

I want to do some testing, and already have an IR viewing device, but don't want to buy a safe-light if I don't need to.

Thanks !

There is this old saying
    "TRY IT!"
    Fred Picker
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

You are certainly right Richard.

But with all respect and good wishes to Fred and you, perhaps I would add "... and see if anyone on the forum has already tried it" :-)

They work fine on film, so I am sure they will work on paper.

I tried IR goggles to develop film by inspection and it works great. As a result, it certainly won't fog paper if that's what you mean, but I'm not sure how it's an advantage over just using a safelight. Be sure to get a light source that doesn't emit any light in the visible spectrum - not all IR gear is designed for that purpose. I forget the terminology now, but some good threads on the subject at APUG and www.michaelandpaula.com under the Azo forum. For developing film, I made a lightbox using IR lightsources that don't emit any visible light and developed my film in a glass bottomed tray. It was like daylight.

The variety of these things on the market is a bit overwhelming. If you've found something which fits well and works and is reasonably priced, could you indicate where you got it? I assume first generation technology is good enough unless it gave Igor eye cancer. Thanks.

Thanks - I already have an IR viewing device.

I will give it a try when I get home from the "salt mines".

Having used an IR monocle extensively in the darkroom there are several reasons that I feel that while this task will work, this proposed application for printing papers is less than optimal.

First, I find that there is a point of optimal usage with my monocle that is in the range of about 15-30 minutes at a time at maximum illumination before my ability to focus critically at arms length starts to diminish. This could be associated with just me personally or the fact that I am only using a monocle and may not be as much of an issue if I were using an IR binocular.

Secondly, you must remember to protect the sensitive light gathering components of the IR device. I was told by the distributor of these devices that exposing them to daylight or intense light without the protective caps can harm them. Just one more thing to concern yourself with remembering in the darkroom.

Lastly, at the nearly give away price for various conventional safe lights in the used market including the 10x12 Kodak bulb lights or even the Thomas Safe Light, I use my IR device for film development for short durations in completely dark conditions and illuminate my darkroom in amber light from safe lights and can comfortably spend long periods of time there without the irritation of the headset and the strain on my eyes. As my Uncle used to say - Keep it simple and use the right tools.

Cheers!

They're useful in pro labs with automated machines...

Michael 's original posting on the Azo Forum is wonderful and comprehensive. It can be found here.

I purchased a monocular as suggested in that thread by Jeremy Moore. I have been using it for loading film and development by inspection, for around 6 months, with great delight, during extended periods of time - with no deleterious effects.

I intend to make some simple contact prints on RC silver paper, for comparison against hand-coated Pt/Pd on fine-art paper.

I don't currently own a safelight. If I end up going back to Silver paper, I will get one and use it instead of the IR device.