Thread: Hi or Regular Intensity Aristo (Zone VI) Head?

Hi or Regular Intensity Aristo (Zone VI) Head?

I just updated my enlarger to a Zone VI Type II. I have the Beseler adaptor, and I'm considering getting a regular instensity Zone VI/Aristo diffusion head for smaller negatives like 35mm and perhaps 2 1/4.

Does one need the extra light output they obtain from the hi intensity cold light head, or is the regular intensity sufficient? I'm thinking about enlarging 35mm to no larger than 8x10.

This Zone VI/Aristo head already has the sensor installed. Does anyone know whether or not sensors in the Zone VI/Aristo heads are appropriate for use with the Zone VI compensating enlarging timer?

Thanks.

Hi or Regular Intensity Aristo (Zone VI) Head?

Hi Neil,
    I re-lamped a few years ago with the hi-intensity V54 lamp, mainly so I could use VC filters. I print from many formats, 1/2 frame on up to 4x5 and I find my exposures generally fall within a very workable range, so I think the extra intensity is worth it. The sensor in the housing works just fine with the compensating timer, I wouldn't go without it. The timer does allow one to turn down the lamp intensity if exposures are too short, so I don't see a downside to that lamp.

Smile Re: Hi or Regular Intensity Aristo (Zone VI) Head?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Gould View Post
    Hi Neil,
    I re-lamped a few years ago with the hi-intensity V54 lamp, mainly so I could use VC filters. I print from many formats, 1/2 frame on up to 4x5 and I find my exposures generally fall within a very workable range, so I think the extra intensity is worth it. The sensor in the housing works just fine with the compensating timer, I wouldn't go without it. The timer does allow one to turn down the lamp intensity if exposures are too short, so I don't see a downside to that lamp.
    Just changing the lamp to a hi intensity lamp won't get you the most brighness. Hi intensity cold lights have a larger transformer.