Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Fatif Report

8x10 Fatif Report

I just assembled my bargain 8x10 Fatif and am pleased to report -- no doubt making Tim A. very jealous -- that for $258.21 I got a really nice 8x10 monorail. I have had several Sinars, Arcas, and Linhofs and the Fatif compares very well to them in terms of design and workmanship. The controls are very solid and logical, and even though this is a well used camera, it is still smooth and locks tightly. The quality is somewhere between a Sinar and an Arca (Arcas are the best IMHO), with a excellent leather bellows and light baffles on the standards and lensboards (it would be hard to duplicate lensboards but it came with a Copal 1 and 3 board so I'm set to start with). The 8x10 back has a smooth bail. There are no bubble levels but each standard has a shoe mount, so I could insert some plastic shoe mount cubed levels. The detents are all good, and only one tilt scale is off, although the detents are aligned vertically (just the mylar scale is in the wrong place). It has both axis and base tilts, so I'm thrilled. The front rise is limited for 8x10, but I can lower the rear if I need to, or use indirect tilts to get more rise. The rail is like a Sinar (not exactly though) and you can get yaw by rotating it in the tripod mount. The shifts and focus are geared, the rest are friction locks, with the rise being a great press-thumb lever that works really nicely. It kind of reminds me of the Linhof monorails, only rounded off. It seems like it would be an excellent studio camera for still life, although I prefer making portraits and observations.

I am guessing it is nearly 20 lbs and will require a 5 series Gitzo or maybe a sexy Fatif tripod...

I still need a larger tripod, some film and holders, and of course a shuttered portrait or longer lens... if anyone wants a nice website design or a stack of 4x5 holders/Readyload/Gnass Gear wrap in trade?

Once I get going, I'll write up a review for the site. It's nice to have an analog outlet again. Ciao e grazie!

Scott Davis

8x10 Fatif Report

Frank-

look for a Gitzo Series 4 set of legs. They, plus a Gitzo 5 series low-profile pan/tilt head holds my Calumet C-1 wonderfully. I found a set of new in box 4 series legs on Ebay for $250.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

8x10 Fatif Report

Now all you need is a snazzy Armani suit to wear with it, and you'll be all set!
    Brian Vuillemenot

8x10 Fatif Report

That's really funny because I have bought good suits on eBay. My wife loves her $112 Collectizone Armani (the higher end line) that is still in still Upstate and has something like 27 layers of really nice fabric, along with little lead weights in the hem to keep it in place. Nice stuff! Nothing like helping poor unemployed Yuppies out...

8x10 Fatif Report

I have the Gitzo G1570M (low-profile pan-tilt magnesium alloy) head, and while I like it, for a studio camera I prefer the Majestic head, and Majestics seem to be plentiful and cheap on eBay these days, particularly if you get one for a post mount, and you can just buy the post-to-3/8" adapter if necessary from Bencher, which isn't too expensive, and use it on any legset.

8x10 Fatif Report

Funny, I have an 8x10 Fatif and it has levels all around...EC

8x10 Fatif Report

Mine also has some sort of small gold badge celebrating 40 years of being in business (or maybe 40 years since they lynched Mussolini?)

8x10 Fatif Report

The company site says that Fatif has been in busines since 1944. According to this, your camera, Frank, should be 1984 vintage.

8x10 Fatif Report

Enjoy the Fatif 8x10 and put it on a sturdy tripod with a solid head.
    It is very hard to wreck. It was my first beloved large format camera.
    I worked with a 13x18 cm. for many years and it looked like it start to get in pieces....but still working.
    Many of us started their professional life with Fatif........

8x10 Fatif Report

Frank, congratulations for your Fatif, it's an excellent camera!!!

As you know Fatif is an italian firm and it's still in business.

It's located in Milan and very close to where I live, if you need replacements or stuff like that feel free to contact me, I will be happy to ask for you...

Ciao

Marco