Thread: Any affordable (and decent) CRTs left?

Any affordable (and decent) CRTs left?

Unfortunately, LaCie doesn't produce the electron Blue anymore. I'm on a Viewsonic now that came to me second hand and its been time to chuck it a long while back! I cannot afford an LCD. Can anyone who is familiar with the market right now recommend a comparable CRT to the LaCie in both price and quality? (under $500) I ordered and received ten of them for the school lab late this summer. I'm kicking myself now for not ordering one for myself! Thanks,

CJJordan (troy) www.jordanphoto.com

http://viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/g90f/

I went to the viewsonic site. When I clicked on "Buy on line" it showed the mointors in stock at several on-line retailers.

Try reading this review.
    http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=124169
    or
    Tigerdirect.com
    Personally I prefer the crt's myself

Chris,

Check this link on the LF forum for a little additional information:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/503565.html

For what it's worth, I've since downloaded profiles for both the Multisync 992 19" and the Viewsonic 220 21" and viewed their gamuts using ColorThink. These are the high end graphic monitors for these two companies. For example, it's possible to independently to adjust all three RGB guns to the desired white point for these monitors. It appears that the Multisync is strong in the blues, whereas the Viewsonic is stronger in the purples. Both exceed the LaCie in these colors, but don't meet LaCie's standards in the greens to yellows to reds. Makes me wonder if that isn't where the challenge lies.

Just for fun, I looked at the profile of the high end Eizo ColorEdge 220 22" LCD. If the downloaded profile is any measure, it's unbelievable. It actually compares quite favorably with Adobe RGB 98. Of course, it's expensive! While the Eizo wipes all of them one way or another, what's interesting is that the LaCie comes pretty close to the Eizo in the yellow-greens to yellows to orange, which is where the other two are lacking.

Even though the LaCie is no longer available, it was instructive to compare these gamuts.

Not to dissuade you from your quest, Chris, but I sometimes wonder if all the usual concern about monitors is justified. It might be, I wonder, a case of adapting the old zen joke about the sound of one hand clapping to more modern situations - one pixel snapping, in this case. ;-) But, I suppose it depends on the application and work flow.

If, for example, one is attempting to get a monitor that, after calibration, displays an image that is closer to the printed output, and no one else ever sees the scanned image itself, the level of concern may be justified. If the work is aimed at displays on the monitors of others, however, I wonder if the expense and effort really pan out. Ultimately, digital display depends on the viewer's monitor, not the creator's. Thus, optimizing the digital image for display on an "average" monitor might be more practical.

Chris,

Here's another interesting link: www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/info/photoshoptip/tip28.html

The issue isn't whether or not it's possible to find a monitor for critical color work. The issue is whether or not one can do that at a reasonable price.

Until it's being discontinued, the LaCie CRT filled that niche.

Two issues come to my mind - can you profile it, and why worry about getting a monitor that will show colors you cannot print, if prints are what you have in mind? Most decent monitors, profiled, can do as better than printers.