Thread: Linhof Multifocus Optical Viewfinder

Linhof Multifocus Optical Viewfinder

I am looking at 1960 Linhof Multifocus Optical Viewfinder on eBay. I want to use it on the my Technika IV, which is the same vintage. I am curious how accurate these are - I do use my camera handheld and would like to be able to frame shots accurately.

They're fairly accurate, but the edges of the frame aren't good and sharply defined, so you can't depend on them for exact framing. The later model of optical viewfinder is much better, but also much much much more expensive.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

It is pretty darned good. Use the paralax feature and enjoy.

If I were you I would consider the Fotoman viewer, it is very well made ,has multiple focal lengths and is much cheaper than the Linhoff.
    I have them both and use the Fotoman 99% of the time.The absence of paralax is a very minor inconvenience.
    Call Jeff at Badger and he can get you one.

Good luck Luis

Do you have a link that shows the Fotoman? Why do you like it better?

And what about those made-in-china viewfinders that have been popping up on the evil bay for $125. Anybody using those? Anything good about them besides the price?

For hand held purposes, the subject viewfinder is perfectly fine. The masking is quite accurate and adequate in image size. I have the viewfinder you are describing on my 1966 5x7 Super Technika V and it works well.

I also have the later finder, which is the same as the current design on my 1975 Super Technika V (4x5). It has the advantage of coated lenses, which makes the image more contrasty. It also widens to 75mm without using an attachment like the model you are interested in (the model you described was available from 1957 through the early 1970's -- it only widens down to 90mm -- there is a slip-on optical mask for use with 75mm lenses -- the slip on mask works fine but there is a lot more image distortion than the later viewfinder yields). It is also more user friendly. But honestly, if I only had the older one I would be perfectly happy with it.

The older model is cheaper on Ebay as mentioned earlier. I would got for it....it also matches your camera. With Linhofs selling at very high prices for collectors, a matching viewfinder is something to consider for resale.

Get the Linhof finder and be done with it.

> something to consider for resale

Heresy.