Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post modernism photgraphy

Post modernism photgraphy

Damn you Paul. I can't stop laughing. It's jiggling my mouse too much to do anything in Photoshop. I'm going outside with the camera. I better stay away from people though--I'm sure giggling under the dark cloth is a symptom in more than one diagnosis in the DSM-IV.

I'm sure giggling under the dark cloth is a symptom in more than one diagnosis in the DSM-IV.

Actually, owning a view camera constitutes its own syndrome in DSM-IV, giggling under the darkcloth is only a sub-syndrome within it...

Any known cure? Or should I continue to self-medicate with good red wine?

Postmodernism is pretty well summed up by the following site:
    http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/ (reload it a few times)
    I propose that a movement is in big trouble if its discourse can't be reliably distinguished from its satire. njb

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Self-medicating with good red wine always works for me. I always recommend a full-bodided zinfandel.

Hmmmm....

This sounds similar to a disease in the "art community", such that it is, prevalent in SE Michigan: abstraction.
    The infected can often be found at art openings in and around the metropolitan Detroit area. Exhibits tend to feature absolute bovine excrement reduced to 2 dimensions , accompanied by "artist's statements", which typically incorporate terms such as "deconstructing", "reconstructing", "reinterpretation", "subliminal", "totem", "nonrepresentational" and the like. In short, these displays are an excuse for those who are absolutely devoid of any visually oriented artistic talent (there is a school of photography that asserts there is no such thing; don't you believe it) to masquerade as artists, without having run the life long gauntlet of dedication involved in the struggle to perfect one's craft.
    Many, both male and female, tend to wear a great deal of black clothing. Males of the species typically sport goatees. Tattoos about the head and shoulders, an air of disdain for the eating of any animal (yea, verily, even fish and foul) cooked or raw, an exaggerated propensity for body piercing, and a particularly annoying habit of quoting (and misquoting) long dead German philosophers are identifying characteristics.

One should exercise caution in approaching those infected by this disease; they typically lurk about galleries, looking for pseudo-intellectual prey. They have been known to lure unsuspecting victims with knowing winks and nods of a non sequitor bent, followed by vicious, unprovoked bursts of hot air, and shrieks of enraged, passionate opposition to the status quo (whatever the status quo may be or be perceived to be at that particular time).

Much like the rattlesnake of the North American West, the infected tend to warn their victims before striking. Typically, sounds approximating the English language serve as warning calls. Terms such as "brother" "my brotha"(be particularly suspect of this one, especially if directed toward women), "my sista", "right on", "peace" and "I'm blessed" are usually harbingers of an imminent attack.

Once disabled by cheap red (some times white) wine, seemingly named after fictional characters from a poorly directed mafia movie, one might find it particularly difficult to extract oneself from a politically correct, pseudo-psycho-intellecual attack capable of eliciting considerable consternation.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Percy,
    LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"I date myself as an unhip modernist when I agree with Szarkoski, who didn't believe that the themes Sherman so cleverly played with were acutally important."

Well said Paul,

Most postmoderism is mostly postmortem.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Those who can't do art, but get paid better than artists because they have personalities that need to manage and control by labeling others and thus get jobs running museums, are the source of all this stuff.

I can imagine the cave painting artists putting up with the same thing 10,000 years ago. Oh so post-modern.

Live in the present. HA!

As my work seems so traditional, I've been trying to move towards a more current direction. I'm caught between post-modern and large format hip-hop, but you guys arn't helping at all... ; )