Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decorative tripod to match design of Fatif Camera

decorative tripod to match design of Fatif Camera

I just bought a beautifully beat-up 8x10 Fatif for the princely such of $258.81 (See the auction).

I was wondering which accessories would compliment this tribute(?) to 1960s Italian Modernist design? Especially for a tripod -- a Gitzo seems, well, too utilitarian for it, and a Majestic is just to0 much of a brutish American cowboy. Certainly I can't consider wood. Vintage Linhofs have a strange curvy design appeal, but then I'd be breaking brand boundaries which is rather like wearing Pada with Versace.

What's a photographer to do? We all want to look stylish in the field...

I'm so tempted to get one of those puppies when they show up - I love the way they look

I think the company can still supply lensboards?

BTW - you could try a Benbo...? (going back to the tripod/machine gun thread, based on the tripod design for the British Vickers Machine Gun I think it was)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

A pre-war Italian-American Tiltall, by all means. (Desiogned by the Marchisi Brothers, or something similar.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Nice buy Frank!
    Looks like a Sinar Norma in Maserati style... problem is I've never seen a black vintage tripod... how about a sleek Foba tripod from the 70's? A modern black Berlebach? Don't know if Manfrotto existed in the 60's, but that would keep the italian gusto to your set!
    Cheers,

Put it on a Benbo. The camera and 'pod locks will gradually fail so that the whole affair melts-down like Gumby and Pokey on Qualudes.

or get a heavy duty and expensive Fatif tripod!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Treppiedi-FATIF-nero_W0QQitemZ7557332094QQcategoryZ30094QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That Fatif tripod looks very nice. although in keeping with the bargain hunting nature of this project I probably shouldn't spend twice as much on a tripod than the camera. I think the lensboards are flat so a metal shop could fabricate one, but the camera in question comes with two boards so I should be all set until I get more ambitious.

Are there any decent Italian lenses out there? Or would a vintage French lens be next the closest thing?

I've been reading about Italian Futurists and all the nice feelings everybody had, especially the Americans, for Benito M. prior to his alliance with Hitler. With all that nationalistic furvor, there must have been some all Italian-made lenses and tripods from the 20s and 30s. Being of Italian heritage, it would be neat to have an all-Italian 8x10 outfit. Maybe not very practical, and like many Italians, not totally reliable, but pretty spiffy all the same!

Well, it sounds a little mundane, but of course Manfrotto comes to mind.

The Italians are so good at tubing. Look at those fancy racing bicycles with strong ultralight double-butted tubes and such. It would be neat to see more of that technology in tripods.

The Italians are so good at tubing. Look at those fancy racing bicycles with strong ultralight double-butted tubes and such. It would be neat to see more of that technology in tripods.

Look to Germany - Biria in particular for some real innovation.

You may not know that the Fatif was designed (in concept at least) by the Italian industrial designer Joe Colombo. Colombo worked on some of the first chairs molded entirely of plastic, and produced such noteable objects as a glass that could be held between the thumb and forefinger, so that the user could more ergonomically hold his scotch and a cigarette in the same hand.... A small picture of the Fatif can be seen at www.joecolombo.com , although it's not a great site. Frank, I had my eye on that one too...

Jim